Lemonade, Fetch, Pumpkin, Pets Best insurance- who do you like?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I commented in another pet insurance post today with a table of quotes I got last year.

In short, expect your premiums to go up every year if for no other reason than your cat getting older. Try to minimize your premium by maximizing your deductible. Buy the highest reimbursement rate and the highest limits you can afford. And if you can afford an annual payment option, the annual premium increases won’t make you grumble as long if you get it over with once a year.

I like and have Embrace because they have a 90% reimbursement rate, a high deductible option ($1000), high limits ($30,000/year), and an annual payment option. But what they also have is a review policy for pre-existing conditions. If your cat doesn’t require vet care for a preexisting condition for a year, they can remove that preexisting condition from her exclusions. I’m not really sure how it works but hope to find out next year. Other than getting refills on her medication which I don’t submit anyway, Betty hasn’t had any billed events for her supposed IBD in almost a year. We may even get her off steroids next month. If she continues to do as well as she has, I’ll likely ask for a review at her next renewal in January.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I commented in another pet insurance post today with a table of quotes I got last year.

In short, expect your premiums to go up every year if for no other reason than your cat getting older. Try to minimize your premium by maximizing your deductible. Buy the highest reimbursement rate and the highest limits you can afford. And if you can afford an annual payment option, the annual premium increases won’t make you grumble as long if you get it over with once a year.

I like and have Embrace because they have a 90% reimbursement rate, a high deductible option ($1000), high limits ($30,000/year), and an annual payment option. But what they also have is a review policy for pre-existing conditions. If your cat doesn’t require vet care for a preexisting condition for a year, they can remove that preexisting condition from her exclusions. I’m not really sure how it works but hope to find out next year. Other than getting refills on her medication which I don’t submit anyway, Betty hasn’t had any billed events for her supposed IBD in almost a year. We may even get her off steroids next month. If she continues to do as well as she has, I’ll likely ask for a review at her next renewal in January.
Yes I actually printed your post off. So I can keep everything situated. I do better when I have things infront of me than I do if it is just in my head.. I've been printing off different providers with a couple different plans for each.. this way I can look at it directly and call and ask questions on the ones I am actually leaning towards.

I really appreciate your advice more than you know. I really appreciate how everyone is so supportive, informative when they can be, and everyone is nice in general amd dont really judge people here.

I have had so many different questions/concerns answered since I've been here which has only been a month and 3 days lol. And I absolutely love this site!!

Anyway back to topic... I really appreciate you trying to guide me in the right direction.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 For the year thing, I can explain a bit too.
It's not if your cat has no billable events, it's if your cat has no recorded symptoms.

So for example Magnus has mild luxating patella. The one vet thought I was asking about Calcifer's knees and on his first visit (which was to qualify him for insurance), checked Calcifer's knees as well and noted that HE may have luxating patella as he was able to easily move Calcifer's knees.

Calcifer's never had symptoms (and the vet noted nothing on his wellness exam) such as the popping or anything. So he had the review this year after his medical and no longer has any exclusion for his knee.

On the other hand we are upgrading Magnus's plan from Secure 1 to Secure 2. His knees, and heart will likely continue to be refunded at the rate of Secure 1 as they are post-plan exclusions (medical issues noted after he was on insurance, but before we upgraded the plan work like this). We will need to wait another year to review.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart you guys are really helping me figure out what I need to be looking for and things to ask. Gabby doesn't have any preexisting conditions (thank goodness). But like mentioned before I definitely need to make sure that if say she gets something that is classified as a preexisting condition that it will be covered the next year.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart you guys are really helping me figure out what I need to be looking for and things to ask. Gabby doesn't have any preexisting conditions (thank goodness). But like mentioned before I definitely need to make sure that if say she gets something that is classified as a preexisting condition that it will be covered the next year.
Yes and ask about modification for plans. You might want to change your policy within the same company later like I did.