Lemonade, Fetch, Pumpkin, Pets Best insurance- who do you like?

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First time looking into pet insurance. I'm not worried about preventive. These are the 4 I've gotten quotes from. Lemonade and Pets Best are the cheapest, but they don't dover sick visits or dental (Lemonade has add-ons but it's $$$). Fetch and Pumpkin seem to cover the most. I'm guessing once I choose I have to stick with the company assuming at some point over the year I'll be faced with something that will turn into a pre-existing. If you've used any of these, what has your experience been? TIA.

PS: I read through all the 'pet insurance' threads already and couldn't get a sense about people's experiences with these companies. :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got a quote from Fetch and didn't find it appealing. My understanding was that if your pet has an issue, they cover that issue for that year and then it becomes pre-existing and they no longer cover it. What's the point of that?!
I called an agent and that's how they explained it. Might be different in the US.

I'm with PetSecure. I don't know if it's Canadian only. They are very reasonable and I've had no issue with claims. I picked Plan 2 as it's only $8 more per month and covers much more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a quote from Fetch and didn't find it appealing. My understanding was that if your pet has an issue, they cover that issue for that year and then it becomes pre-existing and they no longer cover it. What's the point of that?!
I called an agent and that's how they explained it. Might be different in the US.

I'm with PetSecure. I don't know if it's Canadian only. They are very reasonable and I've had no issue with claims. I picked Plan 2 as it's only $8 more per month and covers much more.
Oh that's interesting. What's the point of having insurance if they won't cover ongoing issues? I guess I have to dig a little deeper. I'll look into PetSecure. Thanks.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh that's interesting. What's the point of having insurance if they won't cover ongoing issues? I guess I have to dig a little deeper. I'll look into PetSecure. Thanks.
I wonder the same thing! The point is you're hopefully paying into it for years without using it much....and then they pay back when the cat is older!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Fetch. I did get it before it was called Fetch. I forget the prior name.
My understanding that if there is a pre-existing condition, depending on type; if a cat goes one year without any reoccurrences; then, they do not consider it a pre-existing condition.
They do not cover dental or wellness visits.

My guy has Small Cell Lymphoma. I have submitted many Vet bills for it.
The only issue I have with them is: they say they will pay for meds; but when I try to claim refills, they will not cover them.
I think I need to have a concurrent Vet appointment which states the meds, which my guy does not always have.

I have noticed that the yearly premiums have increased quite a bit, since his diagnosis.

Once you have picked an insurance company, it is best to stay with them--- otherwise, you risk the "pre-existing" clause.

So confusing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Fetch. I did get it before it was called Fetch. I forget the prior name.
My understanding that if there is a pre-existing condition, depending on type; if a cat goes one year without any reoccurrences; then, they do not consider it a pre-existing condition.
They do not cover dental or wellness visits.

My guy has Small Cell Lymphoma. I have submitted many Vet bills for it.
The only issue I have with them is: they say they will pay for meds; but when I try to claim refills, they will not cover them.
I think I need to have a concurrent Vet appointment which states the meds, which my guy does not always have.

I have noticed that the yearly premiums have increased quite a bit, since his diagnosis.

Once you have picked an insurance company, it is best to stay with them--- otherwise, you risk the "pre-existing" clause.

So confusing!
Oh! So if let's say my guy gets the urethral blockage while insured they'll cover it, but if he has a second occurrence that same year then they won't? Maybe I need to call these companies and get the fine print.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh! So if let's say my guy gets the urethral blockage while insured they'll cover it, but if he has a second occurrence that same year then they won't? Maybe I need to call these companies and get the fine print.
Definitely call to get the fine print. And yes, that's my understanding of Fetch as the agent explained it.

PetSecure covers up to a maximum per illness per year and then you can do the same illness indefinitely. So they covered Magnus's heart tests every 6 months for three tests, except we paid a higher percentage on the last one, as we went past the limit on our plan for the year for that condition.

However, since the limit is per condition, his treatment for digestive issues the same year was still covered.

Always the agents will explain it better. keep a chart 😂😂😂

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure about this.
this is something you will have to look into with each insurance company

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do they cover annual wellness exams and preventative care??

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have Pumpkin and I kind of feel like I’m wasting my money. Tessa has asthma, so I understand that they won’t cover her asthma meds because they consider it “pre-existing”. HOWEVER, what I didn’t expect was how they deny almost any and every issue she has had, claiming it is “connected” to her asthma. Almost any issue I have claimed they have denied, even after days of arguing, they say it “could” be connected to her asthma, and is therefore not covered. Makes me feel like I’ve been tricked.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B BeccaCat that is horrible....
What I don't understand is why they turn things down at all... it's like come on we, the pet owners are trying our best to get our pet treated and healthy so just work with us pet owners please!!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I'm aware, for Canadian providers no one covers more than a few hundred for dental, no one covers annual wellness exams and I'm unsure what you would categorize as preventative care.

Everything else depends. Coverage is based on what you're able to pay. The more you pay, the more you get.

Just make sure you ask lots of questions so that you ensure that you're paying for something that's worth it for you.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I'm aware, for Canadian providers no one covers more than a few hundred for dental, no one covers annual wellness exams and I'm unsure what you would categorize as preventative care.

Everything else depends. Coverage is based on what you're able to pay. The more you pay, the more you get.

Just make sure you ask lots of questions so that you ensure that you're paying for something that's worth it for you.
Thank you!!

I'll be 100% honest I really don't know what to ask the providers... besides that I asked above that's the extent of what I can think of...

Would you be willing to give me a list of questions that one should ask when getting pet insurance? If not that is fine, I completely understand. I'm just really new to the whole thing.. all I want is to make sure I get a good provider and get the best/ correct coverage for Gabby.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you!!

I'll be 100% honest I really don't know what to ask the providers... besides that I asked above that's the extent of what I can think of...

Would you be willing to give me a list of questions that one should ask when getting pet insurance? If not that is fine, I completely understand. I'm just really new to the whole thing.. all I want is to make sure I get a good provider and get the best/ correct coverage for Gabby.
I can tell you what I asked. Perhaps some others will be able to chime in!

- How does making a claim work?
- How much do you get back after a claim?
- Do you cover pre-existing conditions? (Usually no)
- How much dental coverage?
- Is the deductible per year or per illness?
- Is the policy for a lifetime or renewable?
- What are the policy limitations?
- When do you stop covering a specific illness?
- When does the policy start?

For example with PetSecure and the plan I'm on I get $1,000 of coverage per year, per illness. My deductible is $200 per year (not per illness) and it goes up as my cats age (to $300 and $400). I can change the deductible and I can change the plan to add more coverage. I can make a claim via email and refund is deposited into my account directly.
I get 90% back to a maximum of $1000/year/illness.

So for example if my cat hurt it's leg I could go and get x-rays and things, pay up front. Say the total was $1200 for the bill and I didn't pay my yearly deductible yet (which is the yearly amount for illness the owner is always responsible for).
$1200-200=$1000
I would get back 90% of $1000 so $900.
Now his follow-up for the leg is $200. It's the same issue, so I can only get back a maximum of another $100 in that year.
However, I also have $500 for physiotherapy if he needs it (per year, not per illness). And next year if his leg needed another follow-up, I'd have $1000 of coverage again.

That last bit is really important because places like Fetch told me it becomes a pre-existing condition and his leg would no longer be covered.

That's really awful because that then means if he gets arthritis in that leg, none of the medication or anything for that is covered either. Because arthritis is something that can happen after an injury. So related illness coverage quickly becomes an issue.

I imagine if your cat gets something long-term like cancer, fetch wouldn't cover anything after that!

Now $200 for dental doesn't really cover anything. Basically that's just the predental bloodwork. But it's considered a lot. Most places were 0 dental coverage.

I also have some coverage for euthanasia and post costs.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. And that is insane that if he were to get an illness while you would have been with that provider the next term it would be considered pre-existing... that isn't right... because you are continuing your coverage with them it isn't like you were with someone else when the illness occurred and then moved to that provider. That would make sense to be pre-existing but not how Fetch is doing it. I really think that is wrong.

Again thank you so much I want to make sure I get her on insurance because without it who knows what could happen and then I could find myself in a between a rock and a hard place...
I've seen it too many times people not being able to get their pets in to see the vet due to financial struggles. This is where insurance can really help..
I understand being in a tight spot, but come on... Us as pet owners are always supposed to have emergency funds saved for our pets... Becayse you really just never know what might happen..

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pet insurance is helpful, but still only helpful if you can pay up-front. Most vets will not charge directly.

I think we all can recognize now (since COVID) that we don't know what the future holds. People's emergency fund get depleted, or used just trying to put food on the table/bowl and a roof over the heads of all family members.

We can plan, but there's so much outside of our control. We can each only do our best. This is why I don't judge these circumstances, or even when someone responsibly rehomed their pets (unless they are constantly getting new ones and rehoming).

Circumstances can change in a split second. I had a good job, and then was hit by a rogue driver on the way home from work while I was walking. Suddenly, I had only finances to pay my own rent. I had $10 left to feed myself and two cats. I'm lucky I had no emergencies with my cats during that time.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes.. anything can happen in the blink of an eye and I understand that to the fullest. I don't judge these circumstances either. What I don't like is when people get them knowing beforehand that they won't be ae to financially take care of them. It can be a sad situation for sure..
Do vets let people set up payment plans if they dont have the funds so they can get their pets taken care of and feeling better.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes.. anything can happen in the blink of an eye and I understand that to the fullest. I don't judge these circumstances either. What I don't like is when people get them knowing beforehand that they won't be ae to financially take care of them. It can be a sad situation for sure..
Do vets let people set up payment plans if they dont have the funds so they can get their pets taken care of and feeling better.
Some vets do. My vet allowed me to do this for Nobel.

You can get financing sometimes as well though vet financing places.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Alldara thank you for taking the time to explain some things I should look for and things to ask I am currently looking at 3 different providers but I'm leaning more towards 1 of them this is just based on the quote online. I won't know until I actually call and ask all of the questions.
Again I really appreciate you helping me with this information!!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a wellness plan. And you generally don’t want one of those. A wellness plan is priced to give you a discount on a large basket of annual services. It’s good if you were planning to do those same services every year. But most cat guardians don’t. It’s like being offered a discount on detailing when all you wanted was a car wash and maybe a tank of gas. Preventative care is a lot easier to budget and save on your own. By its nature, it is more predictable because you are choosing to do it before it’s necessary. Better to create a wellness savings plan than having your hand forced to overshop just for the discount.