Leaving your kitty for vacation?

janesy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! I might be going on a road trip in a few months, do any of you guys have advice on how to keep my kitty sane?

I'll be gone for 2 weeks but the poor buddy is very attached to me and would slink into the shadows of the basement corners and sleep until I come home.

I've left the guy once before with a family friend who would come and feed him everyday but he wouldn't come out and as time went on he didn't eat any more either...

Last week I went individually on a trip and left him home with everyone else here but he just cooped himself up again. Because of this, he got very stressed and developed FLUTD 
!

Any advice for my next trip? No one will be home this time and Nikki runs away from everyone except me.

Also, I'm going to be leaving next year for a new school and I'll only be back every few months (can't bring him with me).

I'm so worried for him, what should I do to make sure he'll be ok?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You do have a dilemma. Have you considered a professional pet sitter? One who knows what to do with cats that have separation anxiety? A professional, bonded sitter would make your (and your cat's) life easier.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you start having a few friends over regularly? Do you think she could get used to some of your friends if you had them at your house enough?

mamamia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree about getting a sitter.  I worked as a pet sitter for a while and dealt with separation anxiety quite often.  If possible, try to get someone who can stop by for visits before you go, so your cat will get used to him/her being around.  And explain the situation.  Most good sitters know how to handle it.  I remember spending about 45 minutes on the floor of one home, just waiting for the cat to come to me comfortably.  After that, I had no problems with her!  She still wasn't as happy to see me as she was her people, but she let me pet her, give her some treats and attention and didn't feel she had to hide. 

Also, sleep in the same shirt for about a week before you go and leave it for him.  My late cat Taco loved sleeping with my scent when I was away.

mamamia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And the shirt thing worked while I was away at school.  When I would come home, I slept in the same shirt and would leave it behind for Taco.  She slept with it until I came home for my next visit. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janesy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow mamaamia, taco sounds adorable :) and everyone, I never thought of a professional pet sitter before, I will try and find someone nearby. Just wondering, are they expensive?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow mamaamia, taco sounds adorable
and everyone, I never thought of a professional pet sitter before, I will try and find someone nearby. Just wondering, are they expensive?
Bluntly, yeah, if they are good they are expensive, but it depends what area you live in.  You will also have to pay for their time to come over beforehand.  I do agree this is a good idea though.  Her ei n DC a professional experienced and bonded petsitter runs from $20-30 a day for one visit.

jazzd1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You do have a dilemma. Have you considered a professional pet sitter? One who knows what to do with cats that have separation anxiety? A professional, bonded sitter would make your (and your cat's) life easier.
This is a great idea..I completely agree with this..

mamamia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really depends on where you live and how often you have him/her come by.  I live in a small town and the sitter I use only charges about $10 per visit, depending on how long I need her to be there and what I need her to do.  We haven't used her in a while...our dog passed away a couple of years ago.  But for Kala (pup), I had her come by 3 times a day, feed her in the am and pm and refresh her water, walk her and take her outside for some play time.  So, for a week long trip, I expected to pay about $200.  But it was well worth it for the care she gave us. 

A good sitter will completely understand if you want him/her to visit before you go away.  Frankly, it should be expected.  If anyone says to just leave your keys under the mat or in another hidden place, RUN! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janesy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha that's good advice :) and yeah I'm looking around now. Thanks for the tips!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not having someone around to watch out cats, has prevented us from going away numerous times.  I can't imagine leaving them alone for any length of time.

When we first got Casper, 3 years ago, after about a year we booked a cruise.  Our next door neighbor said they'd be happy to come in daily to watch over him; feed him, do his litter, fresh water, etc.  We knew he'd be ok alone otherwise, as he was used to that from his prior owner.

The days leading up to the vacation, we kept knocking on their door to have a discussion about all of this, and leave them a key.  No answer.  The night before comes, no answer.  At that point we realize we need a back up plan, but we had nobody to watch him at all being new to the area and all family lived too far away.  Thankfully, we had a water and food feeder which he was used to eating from, that would last 5 days - which was all we needed it for (it was a short cruise).  But, we were really worried about doing this.  What if the battery failed on the feeder?  What if something happened at the house?  What if he ran out of water?  We left extra food and water scattered around the house in other rooms, hoping for the best and also prayed he would not revolt with a dirty litter box for some many days.

When we returned, all was well but we vowed never to do that again.  He was on our mind all the time.  When we got Cocoa this past December we realized it upped the ante on our vacation planning.  Now, however, we have two backups.  The woman who we adopted her through pet sits on the side of her regular job, as do a few others in the rescue organization she is with.  Also, we located a couple of pet sitters in the area that are bonded (which I'd suggest if you do not know the person).  

We are planning on a large trip in 2014 as a celebration of several coinciding events, so getting this in order in advance was important.  

P.S.  The neighbors?  The totally flaked and forgot and were SO apologetic.  They themselves, wound up going away that same time!

Last edited: