Leaving Wet Food Out All Day / Feeding My Kitten Wrong :( Advice?

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I missed the memo (no one I've talked to mentioned this to me), but apparently wet food should only be out at 30 minutes tops?!

With my work schedule, I leave half a can of wet food out for Tali, my 12-week old kitten, then I feed her again when I come home. Is this to say I should be feeding her much smaller portions and just make sure she consumes the entirety of said portions?

Might this explain why she might have some soft poops? :(

If you have a similar work schedule, could you tell me how much food you feed your cat (wet food only, currently)?

Wake up and feed cat: Around 6am
Stop by home: Around 1pm
Home from work: Around 7pm

Thanks for your help / insight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, Dr Lisa Pierson addresses this as well, 12 hours is ok. The bigger concern seems to be with raw, but I've left it out overnight as well, and my big guy is fine. He's a big adult, about 14 lbs not fat, he gets free fed dry and about three-plus small cans daily, depending whether he wants it. If she seems to still be hungry, give your baby more ☺

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I've never heard a time limit on wet food. But I would say it really depends on your circumstances. If you live somewhere where it's really hot and humid inside, then you might want to consider not leaving it out for too long so it doesn't start growing mold or bacteria...that sort of thing. BUT, if you don't, I know some people leave it out all day.

If you're in the Pacific Northwest, right now it's certainly NOT too hot, unless you keep your heater really high, which I'm guessing you don't. But I don't think that's what's causing her soft poops. What, exactly are you feeding her? Have you posted about her poops already in the health section? Personally, I think you're ok to leave her food out, although others may tell you differently. Ask ten people, get ten different answers :wink:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food can be left out all day. It won't go bad but might get dry. Canned food is cooked so it won't spoil. You should throw away canned food after 12 hours or so, though. If you prefer a cat to not eat picked over canned foood all day long, use a programmable timed feeder and put a single portion size into each compartment. If you use a feeder that has a rotating tray, any uneaten food is rotated out of the feeding window when it's time for the next programmed meal. You can freeze canned food into portion sizes and out the frozen food into the feeder to slowly defrost and stay fresher longer. Some feeders even have ice pack features to keep food cool and fresh.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of a time limit on leaving wet food out. I feed my cats wet. One cat eats his bowl within a couple of hours. The other nibbles at hers. When I come home from work, I throw out what she didn't eat and give her fresh. Never had issues with any of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for providing peace of mind, everyone :)

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for providing peace of mind, everyone :)
Think of it this way, kind of common sense -- if you left food out all day would you eat it? You might eat it if it were out for a couple of hours or a little longer, depending. That's how I figure it. :-)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is the can, 5.5oz? If so, I think you are doing it the right way, half in the morning, half at night. I have done the same thing, I just stir it up every so often and scrape it all to the middle of the plate. My limit is 3 hours, then I throw it away. But they almost always eat it within an hour or two.