Leaving town for a days and anxious about cats

ellyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be out of town at least three times this coming summer, once for a whole week, and I am feeling horribly anxious about leaving my two cats.  I don't quite know where it's coming from, to be honest - I've been out of town before, and have a perfectly lovely pet-sitter who comes by once a day to scoop litter and feed and play a bit, and it's always been fine.  But for some reason I can't get this nightmare scenario out of my head that something will go wrong - one of the cats will eat a brown recluse spider and die (I'm in Missouri, the little devils scurry around in the warm months), or one of them will get stuck behind a dresser and not get out, or they'll get into something harmful I overlooked, or...

I had to board them once, and the first thing I heard when I picked them up the next morning was a loud wailing sound that was my younger cat.  I'm not too keen on putting them through boarding for a week.  I guess I just feel anxious for some reason, and need some support - does anyone else dread going away and leaving their cats?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, every year when I go to my sister's for Christmas.  At the end of the third day, I am very anxious to get home. I leave home 10am the day before Christmas and leave my sister's about 10am the day after.

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be out of town at least three times this coming summer, once for a whole week, and I am feeling horribly anxious about leaving my two cats.  I don't quite know where it's coming from, to be honest - I've been out of town before, and have a perfectly lovely pet-sitter who comes by once a day to scoop litter and feed and play a bit, and it's always been fine.  But for some reason I can't get this nightmare scenario out of my head that something will go wrong - one of the cats will eat a brown recluse spider and die (I'm in Missouri, the little devils scurry around in the warm months), or one of them will get stuck behind a dresser and not get out, or they'll get into something harmful I overlooked, or...

I had to board them once, and the first thing I heard when I picked them up the next morning was a loud wailing sound that was my younger cat.  I'm not too keen on putting them through boarding for a week.  I guess I just feel anxious for some reason, and need some support - does anyone else dread going away and leaving their cats?
I went to Florida for a week and had no worries about my cat. I boarded her with my vet, who offers this service for a minimal fee. They show you the "houses", which were nice and large, and offer one-on-one play time for an hour a day for $5. If they need special food, you can give it to the clinic and that's what they will feed them. They will also measure out specific portions for you. My cat was fine when I picked her up. I definitely recommend if you board them you find a place that will give them interactive play time. It gets them out of the cage and the human contact is a definite plus. At my vet's clinic, boarders are placed in an area where the staff passes constantly, and they usually stop and say "hi" to the kitties that are staying with them, so the only time she was actually without a human was overnight when the office was closed.

Have fun,

Lei-Ann