Leaving The Cats Alone To Go On Vacation

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So tomorrow we will be leaving to go on vacation for 8 days & we are leaving our 5 cats home alone. I'm super nervous & getting very sad as I have never left my one cat Dusty (who we've had for a year) and my other cat Lucky I've only been away from for like 3 days. Our other cats have been alone for about 2 weeks before but still I dread it. Am I crazy for feeling this way or is there anyone else out there like me??

Our neighbor is going to check on them every night & give them wet food (we have feeders with dry food), fresh water (we have big bowls out) and change the litter but still I'm anxious about it. Plus we bought cameras so we can see them & speak with them (which we won't do because it just seems cruel) also the light will be on a timer for them. I feel like I'm abandoning them in a weird way which seems silly.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know the feeling. I left my guys for the first time for 8 days not to long ago. I've taken little weekend trips but a family member was always still at home until this recent one.

It will be okay.

The only thing I would do is contact your vet and arrange for emergency care. My vet knows me and knows I will pay for services. I didn't even have to pay a deposit or advance the last time Link had to stay for an emergency and if I have someone else bring them in they know to call me for payment. When I went out of town I had the receptionist put a note on my file authorizing up to $500 in emergency treatment in my absence. Basically saying if the vet felt it was needed and I couldn't be reached to do what was needed. If you don't have the trust or relationship to do the same with your vet at least leave a written note for the neighbor. Something saying, "my regular vet is x, emergency after hours is y." Directions to both, monetary limits and medical notes that may be needed (like for me that my boy doesn't do well with pain medications).

It wasn't needed in my case, but knowing everything was covered just in case is reassuring. I also point out where I keep the cleaner and how to clean if their are accidents. I stress that I do not expect the person to clean but if they want to what to use. I do it because my cat sitter is the little old lady who babysat me when I was a kid, I know she would clean up and want to make sure she uses the right product. Having house sat before for people it's also good to know where cleaners are instead of searching everywhere if they are needed.

When I got home everyone was fine, including my really clinging insecure girl. They were following me around more the first days home but super lovey. My Mom's cat does the ignoring track of presenting she doesn't exist for a day or two but even he gives up the act.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling. I left my guys for the first time for 8 days not to long ago. I've taken little weekend trips but a family member was always still at home until this recent one.

It will be okay.

The only thing I would do is contact your vet and arrange for emergency care. My vet knows me and knows I will pay for services. I didn't even have to pay a deposit or advance the last time Link had to stay for an emergency and if I have someone else bring them in they know to call me for payment. When I went out of town I had the receptionist put a note on my file authorizing up to $500 in emergency treatment in my absence. Basically saying if the vet felt it was needed and I couldn't be reached to do what was needed. If you don't have the trust or relationship to do the same with your vet at least leave a written note for the neighbor. Something saying, "my regular vet is x, emergency after hours is y." Directions to both, monetary limits and medical notes that may be needed (like for me that my boy doesn't do well with pain medications).

It wasn't needed in my case, but knowing everything was covered just in case is reassuring. I also point out where I keep the cleaner and how to clean if their are accidents. I stress that I do not expect the person to clean but if they want to what to use. I do it because my cat sitter is the little old lady who babysat me when I was a kid, I know she would clean up and want to make sure she uses the right product. Having house sat before for people it's also good to know where cleaners are instead of searching everywhere if they are needed.

When I got home everyone was fine, including my really clinging insecure girl. They were following me around more the first days home but super lovey. My Mom's cat does the ignoring track of presenting she doesn't exist for a day or two but even he gives up the act.
I didn’t even think of the vet thing but we do have a close relationship with our vet plus our neighbor is very good friends with their vet who happens to live in our neighborhood so I will leave a note for her just as a just incase. I’m moving any glass items we have on the nightstands because they love to chase each other and hop up on them can’t be too safe!
I feel better knowing someone will pop in everyday to check on them but I have this guilt that they will feel abandoned because I’m not gonna be here. I’ve never felt like this in the past with my other cats & I traveled quite a bit for work in the past. I just need to relax & know everything will be fine!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We are pet parents, we worry. But with the neighbor looking in on them I am sure they will be fine. They just settle into their normal routines and while I am sure they will miss your presence it won’t be traumatic for them. Have a great time,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are pet parents, we worry. But with the neighbor looking in on them I am sure they will be fine. They just settle into their normal routines and while I am sure they will miss your presence it won’t be traumatic for them. Have a great time,
Well we didn’t make our full vacation this Hurricane that is coming had us leave on Sunday (we drove so we wanted to miss evacuation traffic) so the kitties got us back way earlier than expected & were so excited! They never really came out to our neighbor just 2 of them when the wet food would come out & then our little one Bella would eat everyone’s wet food lol! Of course our fire alarm battery decided to go low & was beeping & saying “Low Battery” which I’m sure drove the cats crazy because they were not out & about like before that started. I’m glad to be home with them, we both are & decided next vacation will only be 4 to 5 days we get to missing them too much as lame as that sounds lol!