Leaving our cat visitor to go on holiday – advice please?

gtw1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe some of you remember me posting before, but in short our neighbour's cat slowly moved in with us over a period of time, and we now have a cat flap so he can come and go as he wishes. The neighbours are friendly and fine with the fact that he prefers to spend time with us - they have numerous other cats and other pets, so we assume that's the reason. However, they, as is entirely their right, wish to continue feeding him and providing his vet's care, etc. Therefore, we respect their wishes and don't feed him. The result is he spends about 22 hours a day with us and only really goes 'home' to eat.

He's always been a very affectionate cat (when he's with us), spends a lot of time on our laps and without fail sleeps every night in the bed with us – which we love! If anything he's becoming more cuddly and affectionate, and going out less as he ages (he's around seven). If he comes into the house and can't find us he'll cry out until he does. He's a very sensitive boy!

The problem we have is with going on holiday. In May we're due to go to the USA and Canada for 15 days. Normally in these circumstances, you'd get a cat sitter to come to the house each day and feed the cat, but obviously we don't feed him, so that approach wouldn't really work. We're really worried because he's so bonded and affectionate and used to sleeping in the bed with us, that he might become distressed and react badly to being left for such a long period. Worst-case scenario, he might think we've gone forever and run away.

His owners seem pretty relaxed about the situation and believe he'll just revert to staying there while we're away, which would obviously be fine. We've considered asking a friend or family member to come and live at the house and provide comfort for two weeks, but it's proving difficult. What would you do? Are we being overly anxious or are our concerns valid?

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
you could have a friend stay, but it sounds like kitty enjoys the peace in your home. Could you possibly leave some clothes on your bed ..which would have your scent on it ? maybe program a tv or radio to be on during the hours he'd be there ? maybe the voices /music plus the scent and warmth of sleeping on your clothes will be enough to keep him coming over until you get back. Funny as it sounds, I would TELL him .".we have to go away for a short time, but we will be back. You can still come over until we get home." they understand more than you think :lovecat2: Good luck !! Its sweet of you to be concerned about a cat that is actually a neighbors . He is lucky to have you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gtw1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you could have a friend stay, but it sounds like kitty enjoys the peace in your home. Could you possibly leave some clothes on your bed ..which would have your scent on it ? maybe program a tv or radio to be on during the hours he'd be there ? maybe the voices /music plus the scent and warmth of sleeping on your clothes will be enough to keep him coming over until you get back. Funny as it sounds, I would TELL him .".we have to go away for a short time, but we will be back. You can still come over until we get home." they understand more than you think :lovecat2: Good luck !! Its sweet of you to be concerned about a cat that is actually a neighbors . He is lucky to have you!
We're lucky to have him! He completes our little family ❤ We're so worried he's going to feel abandoned and anxious when we're gone…

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're lucky to have him! He completes our little family ❤ We're so worried he's going to feel abandoned and anxious when we're gone…
can you leave a special toy for him on the bed .. so he feels at home ..while you are gone ? territorial things with kitties :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gtw1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He certainly has plenty of toys, but he only ever really seems to engage with them when we're playing with him. He's really become a lap cat, and he's happiest when he's cuddled up on the sofa with one of us, or sleeping on a bed while we're working. These are all good tips, though, thank you

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. You may leave anything on the bed with a familiar scent for him. If you can you may leave a CCTV cam at the bedroom, so even when you are away you can still see him and "Talk" to him via the speaker.

Enjoy your holiday.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, Maria B that’s a great idea for having a camera in the bedroom where he sleeps. I do remember the first post about the neighbors not wanting gtw1980 feeding the cat, so strange the cat feels more love and attention with her.
The neighbor should realize the cat doesn’t stay around her place (only for food)
I hope you can find someone to come by your place while you’re gone so he doesn’t feel like he’s alone..
Having so many indoor cats myself I know how worried someone can get about going away….prayers sent 🙏🏻

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he'll be just fine, given that you want to put some comforting things out for him. I've been away for several weeks at a time (with a non-resident sitter) and my cats did quite well in my absence. Almost like I never left.