Leaving My Cats For The First Time This Weekend

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very nervous about it! We will be driving up to my parent's, who live about 4 hours away, for the weekend and we decided not to travel with them so as not to stress them out by the new environment. My mom also has a cat that doesn't like other cats.

I hope they don't get too lonely... they are friends and play together a lot. We have my partner's mother feeding them at their regular times and I'm sure they'll be okay, but am feeling anxious about it! Does anyone else leave their kitties for more than a day and, if so, are they usually okay? :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are several members, including myself, that have left a cat or cats for a day or so.
With enough litter, water and food, and someone looking in on them, they'll be fine :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here, we pay a cat sitter to come over and feed them twice a day and give them a little play. I think it’s harder on us than the cats, lol.

If your partner’s mother wants to text you pictures when she visits that helps me know they are ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
KarenKat KarenKat Definitely would help, that's for sure! She plays with the cats and they trust her, so I'm confident they'll be happy to see her. How often would you say you leave your kitties for more than a day?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have just returned from a trip to Houston and have to leave again Monday afternoon until Thursday for work. A sitter comes twice a day and she does send text pictures and updates that they are eating, using litter box,etc. I agree it can be harder on us than on them. My sitter also puts out birdseed in the feeders so they have a show to watch out the window. I did try a boarding facility once and I don’t recommend that, but someone they know will be fine. Enjoy your trip!

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

I did try a boarding facility once and I don’t recommend that, but someone they know will be fine.
Can I ask why? Were your cats too anxious in the unfamiliar setting?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They didn’t want to eat. They came back with a URI. It was a good facility according to reviews but it did not work for my cats. They are much happier at home with all of their things.

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We made it back last night and the kitties were in one piece! They were happy to see us I think, because when we went to bed they both got up with us, snuggled up and purred louder than I had ever heard.

Ramses even came to snuggle with me before work when he’s usually busy wrestling his sister in the morning. When we left the house they were both hanging out together in the window.

A08B9193-504D-464E-A565-0B7F97AE23D4.jpeg