Leaving my cat in a cattery for abit over a month

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I will be leaving my cat in a cattery for abit over a month as with the curent confinement regulations I dont want him to travel in cargo and since he getd extremely stressed during flights and noone can take care of him while im gone i thought it was the best option. I have visited the cattery in Switzerland, the cats are free to roam in a room ad well as go outside the window and there are scratching trees and toys. All the cats there are neutered/sterilized and the food that will be fed to them is good as well. My question is, do you think my cat will be fine in the cattery? Is there aggresion between neutered cats? Will my cat get along with the other kitties? I called and the lady told me there will be 10 to 12 cats there who are friendly with each other.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only left a cat in a cattery once - and that was in the UK. It was expensive but the cat was treated well and she was fine. In fact the assistants made a point of bringing some of their Christmas roast from home to mix with the tinned cat food to help her health problems. She put on some weight while she was there, so it couldn't have been a bad experience for her. It was a farm where the cats were kept in separate boxes and local volunteers spent time playing with each guest in a play area so that they got some exercise and didn't get bored.

Here in Germany, I have recommended a small local cat hotel, run by a cat lover, to a family with a FIV+ cat, who obviously had to be kept separate from other guests. They were most impressed with the service and treatment. Healthy cats were kept together in one large room with plenty of resting places at different heights. The owner of the cattery told me that she has never had problems with cats fighting.

So 2 positives, but that doesn't mean that all catteries are cat friendly as opposed to profit-friendly.
I presume you have checked the ratings on the internet and you have visited the building. When you leave your cat there, give them written instructions on what to do and what to avoid.

I hope things go well for you and your cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is always possible that one cat may not get along with another. There is no way to predict that for sure. If your cat has been around other cats in the past and did well, that would be a positive sign. I realize with confinement requirements, it might not be possible, but have you checked around for people/groups who pet-sit in a person's home while they are gone, or even in their own homes? You might as well pay for an pet sitter if you could find one, since you are going to pay for him to be in a cattery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In regards to your question, I dont have anybody who I can leave the cat to here and he gets extremely stressed during travel (yowling for hours, panting, scratching the carrier) so I thought it would be the best option. I really care about his happiness hence the reason Im making the post to get more opinions.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Will the cattery send you pics and updates on a regular basis? I would definitely ask about their procedure to keep you informed. I can understand your apprehension about putting him in cargo and the stress of a flight. Fingers crossed it works out at the cattery and he does well in this new environment while you're gone. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update for anyone interested. I cancelled last second on the current cattery I had and booked a slightly more expensive one to guarantee comfort. There will be a maximum of 3 cats in this one and Ill have a friend drive me to the location.

Attachments