Leaving Kitten Alone

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted Zelda yesterday (Sunday) and I stayed home today to be with her and encourage good relationships with our resident cats. All is going well, but I'm worried about leaving her alone all day tomorrow when I'm at work.

We have her all set up in our guest bathroom, with her own litter box, cubby holes to climb in, blanket, water, and plenty of toys. No food because the raw food cannot be left out all day, but I will be feeding her 3 times before work and 4 times after work...she eats about 6 oz per day right now. She slept there overnight without an issue, but is it okay for her mentally/emotionally to leave her in there alone for 9+ hours during the day, then again throughout the night?

We are doing this for her safety, as she hasn't been accepted by our older cats and the rest of our house is not "kitten proof" when she isn't under supervision.

Last edited:

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd modify your approach a little right now. I would leave a meal down whilst you are out. Possibly even two or three portions. A kitten is going to eat little and often. Use a timed feeder if you do not want food to be left all day in the open. Eating food that's been out for a couple hours is not going to harm her, but pigging out because she's hungry when you get home might lead to vomiting, which will reduce her intake significantly.

Otherwise, leaving her in that room isn't going to be detrimental, so long as she has toys, space and water. Using after work and days off to introduce her to the residents is fine, and then slowly allowing short periods of first supervised, then unsupervised access is good. Scent swapping, when you are at home is a good way to get everyone on the "who's this" train before transitioning to face to face. If you are out of the house for 9 hours a day, you may well be tempted to try and rush introductions when you are home. Just take cues from your least confident cat and don't force any issues. Have patience and you will be able to integrate them fully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Otherwise, leaving her in that room isn't going to be detrimental, so long as she has toys, space and water. Using after work and days off to introduce her to the residents is fine, and then slowly allowing short periods of first supervised, then unsupervised access is good. Scent swapping, when you are at home is a good way to get everyone on the "who's this" train before transitioning to face to face. If you are out of the house for 9 hours a day, you may well be tempted to try and rush introductions when you are home. Just take cues from your least confident cat and don't force any issues. Have patience and you will be able to integrate them fully.
Thank you, yeah the introductions are going pretty well and I'm not too worried about that aspect, I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to harm her emotional well-being having her alone for so long. It will not be 9 hours every day, but on my busy days where the work keeps flowing it will be.

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd modify your approach a little right now. I would leave a meal down whilst you are out. Possibly even two or three portions. A kitten is going to eat little and often. Use a timed feeder if you do not want food to be left all day in the open.
Sorry, I meant raw food, not wet food. She is eating raw and it really shouldn't be left out more than 20 minutes. Editing my original post now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You can also leave some dry food for her while you are gone - however, a timed feeder might not be a bad idea in that case too.

Just make sure you give her adequate attention and play time every night you come home.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you might consider supplementing her raw diet with either a wet meal left or dry food until she is older. You can still feed primarily raw, but having the option of other food would make me more comfortable leaving the cat for longer periods.

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you might consider supplementing her raw diet with either a wet meal left or dry food until she is older. You can still feed primarily raw, but having the option of other food would make me more comfortable leaving the cat for longer periods.
I have no interest in feeding dry at all. But, there's a wet food I am okay feeding my boys from time to time (it's a backup I keep on hand) that I could leave in there. I'll talk to my vet first.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can leave a canned food meal or two in a timed feeder and feed the raw when you are at home. That's what I did with Leroy. He was confined to the bathroom for upwards of 12 hours a day because I had to work. Do you have a nightlight on in the bathroom or is there a window?

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a nightlight on in the bathroom or is there a window?
There's a skylight for the daytime and I have a small lantern on low in there at night.