Leaving kitten alone during the day

shelbyc47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I recently adopted a 5 month old tuxedo kitten named Oliver. I will need to leave him home during the day while I work (I'm a school teacher) but won't need to until the end of August. I am already getting him used to being left alone by gradually increasing my time away from him during the day so that it isn't a shock to him once school starts back. I have a large spare bedroom in my house that has a large window and is connected to a bathroom. Would it be okay to leave Oliver in the bedroom and give him access to the bathroom all day while I am gone? I already have a litter box and another food dish and water fountain in the bathroom that is attached. He spends most of his time in the bedroom now, and there isn't much of anything that he could tear up or get injured on in the room. I was just curious if this was a suitable living area for him while I am gone during the day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Yes that is a good place for him to stay while you work.  I would try to make the room enriching for him.  Cat trees and/or cat shelves are good outlets for his energy and his mind.  You can hide some safe toys for him to play with too.  I avoid things with string/ribbon/tulle because Noodles tends to chew them.  

I don't know how long you will find that necessary though.  When my 2 were small kittens they stayed in a large wire dog crate.  As they got older; they got more freedom.  I just don't remember how old they were when I gave them run of the house 24/7.  I think it really depends on your cat and your home.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelbyc47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply! I have two scratching posts and tons of toys for him in there, and plan on getting some sort of perch for the window in the near future (for right now, he's content sitting on a chair in front of the window). I'm hoping that eventually he can have full run of the house while I'm not here, but this is a good solution for him for now.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds good to me. Our 16 week old baby has been spending the last few days confined to the master bedroom and bath when my fiance and I are at work. With cat toys, perches for the windows, and all her things in the room it is no problem at all. That said, our older (3 year old cat) hates being confined in this space. I think he feels he deserves the run of the house or just doesn't like being confined to this space with the kitten all day.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely you don't have to confine your 3 year old?
Where you are planning on leaving the baby sounds excellent.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. The three year old cat stayed with the kitten in that room once mainly because I wanted the kitten to have company. It is not happening again as he was extremely offended as he hasn't been confined since he was adjusting to the dog when we adopted him in March. He's fine out alone as him and the dog have a good relationship.