leaving home for a week- will my cats be okay?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope your trips gone well!

In the future, I wonder if you could find someone to come every few days off of a place like Rover? Building a relationship with that person might help you feel better.

It's good for anti-break-in safety to have someone checking in too 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope your trips gone well!

In the future, I wonder if you could find someone to come every few days off of a place like Rover? Building a relationship with that person might help you feel better.

It's good for anti-break-in safety to have someone checking in too 😊
update!!
my cats were totally fine while I was gone!! as a matter of fact, one of the kittens, cosmo, was a bit underweight when I left & he gained so much (he needed to gain) while I was gone!! only downside was the older kittens breaking out of their area (it was a little tent-like thing, they climbed it surprisingly) but they were okay outside of it!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
update!!
my cats were totally fine while I was gone!! as a matter of fact, one of the kittens, cosmo, was a bit underweight when I left & he gained so much (he needed to gain) while I was gone!! only downside was the older kittens breaking out of their area (it was a little tent-like thing, they climbed it surprisingly) but they were okay outside of it!
I am amazed. What about the litter boxes? Water etc.? My cats would go bonkers if it is not scooped 2-3 times a day much less a week. Water would be spilled everywhere and food would have run out and be spilled no doubt. I would never leave my cats unattended even for overnight.
I am glad it went well 😀

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
I am amazed. What about the litter boxes? Water etc.? My cats would go bonkers if it is not scooped 2-3 times a day much less a week. Water would be spilled everywhere and food would have run out and be spilled no doubt. I would never leave my cats unattended even for overnight.
I am glad it went well 😀
The litter boxes that were in the girls+babies room were, to my surprise, not very full at all.
The boys on the other hand, filled their litter boxes as much as a litter box could be filled lol, but they were in my bathroom so they also had the tub to use as a litter box

As for food/water/etc, I'm super surprised mine didn't spill what they had- the girls had 4 feeders (2 for kittens, 2 for adults) and 3 (water feeders? 2 for kittens and 1 for adults), and the boys had 3 feeders, 1 water feeder + I left the sink faucet running a little .

almost lastly, just to address a couple of odd-sounding things that I said,
1. them being in my bathroom sounds crazy, I get it, but it is bigger than most so they had plenty of room,
2. the tub thing is super weird I know, it's a habit they started when I first took them in.
I've mosssttllyyy broken it by using litter boxes thankfully

finally lastly, We just recently switched to litter boxes, so it's something I'm new to.
I can't believe I previously thought I could go a day or two without scooping.. the idea of doing that blows my mind now cause man do they love to poop!! 😂

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter boxes that were in the girls+babies room were, to my surprise, not very full at all.
The boys on the other hand, filled their litter boxes as much as a litter box could be filled lol, but they were in my bathroom so they also had the tub to use as a litter box

As for food/water/etc, I'm super surprised mine didn't spill what they had- the girls had 4 feeders (2 for kittens, 2 for adults) and 3 (water feeders? 2 for kittens and 1 for adults), and the boys had 3 feeders, 1 water feeder + I left the sink faucet running a little .

almost lastly, just to address a couple of odd-sounding things that I said,
1. them being in my bathroom sounds crazy, I get it, but it is bigger than most so they had plenty of room,
2. the tub thing is super weird I know, it's a habit they started when I first took them in.
I've mosssttllyyy broken it by using litter boxes thankfully

finally lastly, We just recently switched to litter boxes, so it's something I'm new to.
I can't believe I previously thought I could go a day or two without scooping.. the idea of doing that blows my mind now cause man do they love to poop!! 😂
my first cat, a siamese mix, used to pee in the sink and bathtub sometimes but she used her box too. I would like to train all my cats to use the toilet for everything… it would make life a lot easier but I’ve never managed to do it. I tried with two of them and they just didn’t take to it. I could not get everybody to leave the door open and the toilet seat up etc. so that didn’t help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats using the tube as toilet isnt not that unusual... Its a little odd because cats dont like their pee splashing into their legs... That is one of the reasons they appreciate litter boxes or sand... No splashing.

Re using them to use a human WC chair.... There are sets of rings to set on the chair; first with just a small opening when they got used to the small opening, you set on a ring with a bigger opening.... etc.

I agree you were extremely lucky no accidents nor fouling elsewhere happened.

Our boys are very well mannered, both them and their great ancestors... They always use the litter box... Almost the only accidents happen when we forget to clean up the litter box and it was full after almost 24 hours...

Of course, them being studs / ex studs, it did happened peeing occasionally.... But this we knew having studs / late cut males....
A good enzymatic cleaner helps much... :)

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
my first cat, a siamese mix, used to pee in the sink and bathtub sometimes but she used her box too. I would like to train all my cats to use the toilet for everything… it would make life a lot easier but I’ve never managed to do it. I tried with two of them and they just didn’t take to it. I could not get everybody to leave the door open and the toilet seat up etc. so that didn’t help.
lol, my mimi pees in the sink as well..
ive seen a few "toilet training" litter boxes, i wonder if those do anything 😅

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats using the tube as toilet isnt not that unusual... Its a little odd because cats dont like their pee splashing into their legs... That is one of the reasons they appreciate litter boxes or sand... No splashing.

Re using them to use a human WC chair.... There are sets of rings to set on the chair; first with just a small opening when they got used to the small opening, you set on a ring with a bigger opening.... etc.

I agree you were extremely lucky no accidents nor fouling elsewhere happened.

Our boys are very well mannered, both them and their great ancestors... They always use the litter box... Almost the only accidents happen when we forget to clean up the litter box and it was full after almost 24 hours...

Of course, them being studs / ex studs, it did happened peeing occasionally.... But this we knew having studs / late cut males....
A good enzymatic cleaner helps much... :)
I tried those but once the hole got bigger Quinn did not like it. And Angie would pee but not poop, also once the hole was bigger she was worried I think. I think the fact that it was inconsistent with people not opening the door and removing the cat training device, not leaving the lid up, probably didn’t help though. I thought for sure Quinn would be the one I would be able to train because he’s Siamese. Angie was a mix.

Also I got Quinn to use the Cat Genie which is like a toilet. The way I had to do it was take away his old normal box, which I was worried about, but it worked.

It was very good but not ideal because sometimes it got clogged with the plastic pellets and it took a lot of effort to clean it. I got that for Wizard because he peed so much, and he switched from the Litter Robot to that eventually.

Now unfortunately where it was attached to the plumbing had a big leak in my studio and I haven’t found a plumber to fix it yet. But when Merlin came inside I started using a normal litter box again and Quinn stopped using the cat genie before it broke.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, my mimi pees in the sink as well..
ive seen a few "toilet training" litter boxes, i wonder if those do anything 😅
You can try them, just make sure everyone will abide by the rules, if it’s only you go for it. But you may need more than one toilet for that many cats. I think with my first kitty Sheba, she was having urinary issues because there was sometimes some blood in the urine when she peed in the sink, and she was trying to tell us. So, we took her to dvm etc. but she always did that here and there.

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try them, just make sure everyone will abide by the rules, if it’s only you go for it. But you may need more than one toilet for that many cats. I think with my first kitty Sheba, she was having urinary issues because there was sometimes some blood in the urine when she peed in the sink, and she was trying to tell us. So, we took her to dvm etc. but she always did that here and there.
oh no! i'll make sure im on the lookout for blood in my mimis urine!! did your sheba turn out to be okay?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no! i'll make sure im on the lookout for blood in my mimis urine!! did your sheba turn out to be okay?
That was a long time ago, I was child and did not go to dvm with her. What treatment of DVM recommended but she was OK. The treatments they had then we’re kind of limited too…I think they just said to give her more water and wet food maybe and ga e her antibiotics. Which is what they did with Sybil so I guess the treatments haven’t really changed that much. Syb never had blood in her urine.