Leaving gifts on the doorstep

crookshanks241

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Odd question for you all- My friend's cat is an indoor/outdoor cat, and will frequently leave the results of her latest hunting expedition on the doorstep, either whole, or an internal organ of some sort. I have heard that leaving the whole animal is a sign of affection, because mother cats do that for their kittens, but what is the purpose of leaving a liver or some other random internal organ right where it is most likely to be stepped on first thing in the morning?

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when it live its because they think your either too stupid or too slow to do it for yourself. they are teaching you to hunt.

sort of like "look, i'll show you this one last time then its down to you to kill it..."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crookshanks241

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank heavens this cat hasn't been bringing them live, she must think they are a bit too slow for that lesson yet
I just always thought it odd that she would leave them an internal organ. I always wondered if she thought that was the best part or if that was the part that she never ate anyhow... hehehe. Thanks for the input!

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little guy is an indoor cat but he brings us his toy mice and my stuffed animals as "dead presents" in bed

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Emmy will bring me her fake "mousie". I'll rub her head and say "Good girl." She looks satisfied and walks away. I think it's just a way of them accepting you and showing that they like you enough to share their food. And showing you their hunting skills....or maybe
they're thinking that you should be very afraid..."Look what I did to this mouse (or bird, or whatever), I can do this to you, too, so WATCH OUT!!!"

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmysamson

Emmy will bring me her fake "mousie". I'll rub her head and say "Good girl." She looks satisfied and walks away. I think it's just a way of them accepting you and showing that they like you enough to share their food. And showing you their hunting skills....or maybe
they're thinking that you should be very afraid..."Look what I did to this mouse (or bird, or whatever), I can do this to you, too, so WATCH OUT!!!"
Ohhh now I'm very very scared!!
My outdoor cats are always leaving mouse heads, internal organs, etc. on the back porch. At first I assumed that it was because those parts just don't taste good to them. NOW you have me worried!