Leaving for a week...

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife and I are leaving for a week vacation. My daughter, who is 18, will be looking after the cats, so there will be someone here to give them treats, clean their litter boxes, interact with them, etc. however, the cats clearly like me the most, and sometimes they will follow me around the house as I'm doing day to day activities. Will my week absence throw them off? What behaviors can I expect? Or will they be just fine without me?

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My wife and I are leaving for a week vacation. My daughter, who is 18, will be looking after the cats, so there will be someone here to give them treats, clean their litter boxes, interact with them, etc. however, the cats clearly like me the most, and sometimes they will follow me around the house as I'm doing day to day activities. Will my week absence throw them off? What behaviors can I expect? Or will they be just fine without me?
Well, i left my cat alone for a month with my housekeeper so your cat should be fine.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's hard to leave them when they've really bonded with you.  How about getting your daughter to take on that role now, before you go?  Feeding cats is a big one, and playtime with them too. And treats.   Ask her to just be really attentive now and things should go smoothly (although I'm sure they'll be thrilled to see you when you get home, all the same.
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What behavior they will show will vary from cat to cat. They will likely show signs that appear as wondering where you are or looking for you. They could have other temporary behavior changes. For most cats these issues are mild though. And your daughter is presumably someone very familiar to them even if they are more bonded with you.

In short, they'll likely be a little sad but otherwise fine, and then very happy to see you when you return.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to leave them when they've really bonded with you.  How about getting your daughter to take on that role now, before you go?  ...

What behavior they will show will vary from cat to cat. ...
. And your daughter is presumably someone very familiar to them even if they are more bonded with you.
I've often found that when a cat is uncertain or scared, or to be around a new person, it helps them to recognize the "safety of a thing or person" if they witness you interacting with that thing or person, touching it, talking to it, comforting sounds. I agree with Mani that having your daughter over before you leave (and not just one time, but a few times) , and having your kitties see you interact "safely" with your daughter and etc., could help your cats know that this is a "safe person" for them, just like they know that you are a safe person for them.

I see this with the cats I've had in my life. Example, a new kitten enters a room... there is a big shoe on the floor... kitten shows fear, uncertainty... I go over to the shoe, get down on the floor, touch the shoe "safely" and calmly, talking to the kitten the whole time. Kitten then makes her way over to the shoe more boldly, knowing it is a safe thing to touch, play with...