Leaving cats with pet sitter while on vacation

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats- a 3 year old and an 18 month old (both females). We will be going to India on vacation for 20 days. We can't avoid it because of ageing parents back home! We have arranged a very good pet sitter for them. We recently wanted to test out their behavior when we were away. So, we left the cats with the sitter for 4 days while we traveled to California; she came twice a day to feed them. They both did OK but they were probably eating less and missed us a lot. The 3 year old was out and interacting a little but the 18 month old was hiding from her all the time (not unusual because she hides from all strangers). I am really anxious about leaving them for 20 days. Will they keep eating or will they stop after a week? Should I ask the sitter to spend some nights at the house ( 2 or 3 times a week)? I would love if she stayed back but I am afraid that the 18 month old won't like it! I am planning to ask her to stay at our house for a couple of nights before our travel just to see how they do (and perhaps get used to her). Have you left your cats for so long? Did they do OK? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could ask the sitter to call for an hour several times a week so your cats will get used to her voice and appearance. Also when you do go for India, leave some of your worn clothes in the places the cats spend time, your familiar smell will be on them.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You already have your pet sitter, but there may be some tips in this article about preparation and planning ahead before you go:
A Pet Owner’s Guide To Pet Sitters – TheCatSite Articles

You might consider putting webcams in places where your cats typically hang out. That way you can look in on them several times a day just to reassure yourself that all is well. In addition to our living spaces, I also have one in the room with the litter boxes so I can feel confident that all is well there. I've tried talking to them through it, but it just freaks them out. Yours may be okay with it. :)

My last pet sitter also would text me photos and updates when she visited. And once she used FaceTime (we both had iPhones) so I could interact with the kitties. After a few days, two of my three cats were coming out for feeding time (they never let the sitter pet them, though). All were shy cats and didn't like strangers, but the sitter was so quiet and calm that they grew used to her.

I like your idea of asking the sitter to stay at the house three or so days a week if she's willing to do it (and as long as she's by herself--no visitors). I think it would be reassuring for your cats even if they didn't interact with her a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could ask the sitter to call for an hour several times a week so your cats will get used to her voice and appearance. Also when you do go for India, leave some of your worn clothes in the places the cats spend time, your familiar smell will be on them.
Thanks so much! Great ideas!

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You already have your pet sitter, but there may be some tips in this article about preparation and planning ahead before you go:
A Pet Owner’s Guide To Pet Sitters – TheCatSite Articles

You might consider putting webcams in places where your cats typically hang out. That way you can look in on them several times a day just to reassure yourself that all is well. In addition to our living spaces, I also have one in the room with the litter boxes so I can feel confident that all is well there. I've tried talking to them through it, but it just freaks them out. Yours may be okay with it. :)

My last pet sitter also would text me photos and updates when she visited. And once she used FaceTime (we both had iPhones) so I could interact with the kitties. After a few days, two of my three cats were coming out for feeding time (they never let the sitter pet them, though). All were shy cats and didn't like strangers, but the sitter was so quiet and calm that they grew used to her.

I like your idea of asking the sitter to stay at the house three or so days a week if she's willing to do it (and as long as she's by herself--no visitors). I think it would be reassuring for your cats even if they didn't interact with her a lot.
Thanks so much! Great ideas! Can you ask what's the longest time you have left them with a sitter? Did they all do OK?

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much! Great ideas! Can you ask what's the longest time you have left them with a sitter? Did they all do OK?
I meant: Can I ask ?LOL

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a cat newbie, but it seems likely that your younger cat would get more comfortable with the sitter after a few consecutive days together (especially if it's before you leave, so you're there to show them not to be afraid).

I take my kitty to my mom's house when I'm away (I know it's harder on her than if my mom stayed at my place, but that's not an option). She hid under the bed a lot at first, but every time it got better, and now she seems fine. So far, it's been 5 days, max, but I'm leaving her 14 days next month. I have given my mom plenty of lickable treats and baby food, with instructions on what to do (and when to call me) if she isn't eating well. 🤞🤞🤞

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a cat newbie, but it seems likely that your younger cat would get more comfortable with the sitter after a few consecutive days together (especially if it's before you leave, so you're there to show them not to be afraid).

I take my kitty to my mom's house when I'm away (I know it's harder on her than if my mom stayed at my place, but that's not an option). She hid under the bed a lot at first, but every time it got better, and now she seems fine. So far, it's been 5 days, max, but I'm leaving her 14 days next month. I have given my mom plenty of lickable treats and baby food, with instructions on what to do (and when to call me) if she isn't eating well. 🤞🤞🤞
Thanks for your response! Good luck with the trip. I would love to know how your cat does when you are away!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can try to have babysitter come over and spend maybe evening with you guys just sitting and interacting with you. Should have plenty of favored treats that are fed to cats only from babysitter. I have habit to give treats to everyone entering my home to feed the kitties. All 3 are Corona babies and not raised with lots of people around. At this point 2 out of 3 are actually harassing visitors at this point. Even with the people they know they will slowly get depressed and may lose some weight but don’t fret, your aging parents are priority and cats will survive, been in your shoes for year. Cats are creatures of habits and routines and they will miss you and their world Prepare as much as you can and give them all your love when you return. On your return it will take them less than 24 hours to get back to their usual self.

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The longest I've left my cats is a week. They were fine when I got home. I think it was harder on me than it was on them!
So true! It's probably harder on us. Glad to know that there are so many cat lovers!

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can try to have babysitter come over and spend maybe evening with you guys just sitting and interacting with you. Should have plenty of favored treats that are fed to cats only from babysitter. I have habit to give treats to everyone entering my home to feed the kitties. All 3 are Corona babies and not raised with lots of people around. At this point 2 out of 3 are actually harassing visitors at this point. Even with the people they know they will slowly get depressed and may lose some weight but don’t fret, your aging parents are priority and cats will survive, been in your shoes for year. Cats are creatures of habits and routines and they will miss you and their world Prepare as much as you can and give them all your love when you return. On your return it will take them less than 24 hours to get back to their usual self.
Such a great response! Your words made me feel so much better. Thank you, thank you!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Such a great response! Your words made me feel so much better. Thank you, thank you!
You are very welcome. I sincerely wish that I’m in position to leave my cats for 20 days if a only have parents to go and visit. Unfortunately for me there is nobody to go home to … anymore. (and the cats will love you the same)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I left my cat for the first time ever for only 3 days and fretted, but if it’s any encouragement, the pet sitter adored him, he was fine, is on my stomach now purring. Get your sitter to talk to the cats I think it helps. Lucky you if yours sends photos…mine refused to learn how to use a device, but the plus side is I think he’s more in tune w creatures. Don’t worry: if they are loved and fed all will be well. I left lots of notes for my sitter which helped me as well as him. Honestly, it ends up it’s really you you have to calm down, not the cat!

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that! Thanks again for your kind words.

Vijju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I left my cat for the first time ever for only 3 days and fretted, but if it’s any encouragement, the pet sitter adored him, he was fine, is on my stomach now purring. Get your sitter to talk to the cats I think it helps. Lucky you if yours sends photos…mine refused to learn how to use a device, but the plus side is I think he’s more in tune w creatures. Don’t worry: if they are loved and fed all will be well. I left lots of notes for my sitter which helped me as well as him. Honestly, it ends up it’s really you you have to calm down, not the cat!
I was away for a few days and my sitter sent pictures everyday. She's really good. I just need to learn to relax. This forum is really helping me:-)