Leaving cat with immediate family while traveling?

merideuskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, I am travelling to Australia for 3 months and I am debating if I should leave my cat with my father whom we have been living with for the past year, or with my mother who I know will give him a lot more cuddles. he gets along very well with my mothers cats and not so much with the cat at my fathers house. I may seem a bit crazy but I want him to be happy and not think that I am abandoning him. We are very close, he sleeps next to me every single night still, he is a year and a half old so still practically a baby. Thank you for the help!

no1isin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you take the kitty with you? 3 months seems long. A friend of mine had the same situation and left her kitty with the parent who had the cat her kitty could along with.
The little the stress the better shes off with, u said it at moms lot of affection and a stress free environment

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't think you can take a cat with you to Australia for such a short period of time. The cat will have to be quarantined for at least that long, if not longer.

Sounds like you feel your mother's place will be a better fit, both with her giving him more cuddles and her cats being a better match for him. Why the dilemma then?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he would be better off at your mom's house since he gets a long better with your mom's cats. One thing I would suggest is to spend some time at your mom's with the cat so he used to the environment before your travels.  Another suggestion would be to do some sleep-overs with the cat at your mom's without you there.  This may be hard for you to do but I think it would help the cat feel more comfortable.  By leaving the cat at your mom's without you for some shorter periods of time the cat will be able to see that you are not abandoning him.  This will also give your cat time to bond more with your mom and her cats so he is more comfortable while you are gone.