Leaving Cat With Cat Sitter

sacatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 6 year old neutered male kitty, who is very shy around new people and who hides a lot with unfamiliar faces. He is however very normal, playful and cuddly with us, his family. He has however, taken a liking to one of my female friends (he is scared of men and children). Anyways, I am going on an overseas vacation and having the above mentioned female friend house/cat sit for me (I’ve tried kenneling him-he gets extremely stressed) while I’m gone for about 24 days.

Do you think he will be ok? I’ve left him with her for a maximum of ten days before with no real problems. I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance so that I can relax on my vacation. Any kind, helpful words?

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds as if your cat is comfortable with your friend and as she has done it before without any problems, I cant see why there should be any this time. You dont say if your friend is staying in your home or your cat going to hers but either way leave plenty of familiar things around, toys, bedding and an item of your unwashed clothing that you have worn and has your smell on. Also provide a contact number of your vet, just in case. Have a good holiday, I'm sure your friend will look after your cat and spoil him.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think having a friend who your cat knows and seems to like housesit for you is just about the best solution possible for making sure that he's well cared for while you're gone. We had a very shy cat and travelled a lot. She was fine as long as our neighbors, who she knew well and trusted, were able to care for her. When we had to get substitutes to watch her on occasion, she made it very clear when we got back whether or not she approved of our choice!

I think everything will be fine while you're gone. Maybe your friend can send you regular updates and photos to ease your mind while you're gone. This always helps us relax about leaving our kitty with a catsitter.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have a pet sitter come every year for 8 days, and our cat is fine with her. The shelter I work at also boards pets, and frequently there are cats that stay for 3 or 4 weeks with no ill effects.

Since your cat knows your friend and she's already cared for him for 10 days, he should be fine.

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the cat will be totally fine, but of course happy to see you when you are back! Is your friend going to live in your house or what kind of arrangements are you making in terms of visit times and length, play time, etc.?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that is probably the best solution. Even if your cat runs and hides everytime she comes in as long as she notices he is eating and using the litterbox it should be fine. Growing up I pet sit my next door neighbors cat and not a single time did we ever actually see the cat when we came over. My mom joked that they didn't really have a cat, but the food was always gone when we came back the next day. I mean, YEARS we pet sit and not once saw the cat lol. Of course the cat was there the whole time, she would come out when I was just over there when the family was home. As a kid, I just thought it was so funny that the cat never came out of hiding when we went over.

CosmoBot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a 6 year old neutered male kitty, who is very shy around new people and who hides a lot with unfamiliar faces. He is however very normal, playful and cuddly with us, his family. He has however, taken a liking to one of my female friends (he is scared of men and children). Anyways, I am going on an overseas vacation and having the above mentioned female friend house/cat sit for me (I’ve tried kenneling him-he gets extremely stressed) while I’m gone for about 24 days.

Do you think he will be ok? I’ve left him with her for a maximum of ten days before with no real problems. I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance so that I can relax on my vacation. Any kind, helpful words?
You're such a good cat mama! In my opinion, that's the best you could have done for him, and it's not always possible to get a house/cat sitter for that long. So, way to go! We left our kitty for 11 days over the winter. We usually get a cat-sitter, but we're in a new city and don't have anyone who can do that. We had our friend, my husband's parents, AND our landlord checking in on him. I was so nervous. People sent us videos and pics, though, and it realllly helped me to feel better and to see that he was just as cuddly and rolly-around with them as he is with us. Have your friend send you updates!

That said, he was pretty stressed when we got back :( So, we won't do that again. But he was safe, well-fed, played with and cared for!

CosmoBot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the cat will be totally fine, but of course happy to see you when you are back! Is your friend going to live in your house or what kind of arrangements are you making in terms of visit times and length, play time, etc.?
Yeah, def let the sitter know about how much/often to play, especially if she's never had a cat. We had a friend of mine cat-sit years ago and I was shocked to find out how clueless she was about cats. It just didn't occur to me. Now I leave detailed instructions, even at the risk of seeming a little over protective, lol.

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, def let the sitter know about how much/often to play, especially if she's never had a cat. We had a friend of mine cat-sit years ago and I was shocked to find out how clueless she was about cats. It just didn't occur to me. Now I leave detailed instructions, even at the risk of seeming a little over protective, lol.
yes and I am sure someone who doesn't understand pet care, will think once a day visit is fine. It would not be fine with my cat! She would probably lose it after 3 days of such minimal contact and care.

CosmoBot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes and I am sure someone who doesn't understand pet care, will think once a day visit is fine. It would not be fine with my cat! She would probably lose it after 3 days of such minimal contact and care.
I don't blame her! I like my alone time, but even I would lose it if I was stuck in my apartment alone with only 15 minutes of contact per day!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did practice sits with my sitter before I left for a four day holiday. We did one training sit where I showed her how to do the thaw and feed for Krista (back when she was still eating raw.) As I went over the supplements, it helped me think about how to organize it for a sitter. After the training feed, I put color coding stickers on foods/supplements with same stickers on the measuring spoons corresponding to the amounts to give and also on the notes explaining what, when, how. "Oh, this spoon and this note with the yellow sticker refers to this product with the same yellow sticker." I did two more practice feeds with myself across town at dinner watching her on the pet camera. I told her ahead of time that I have a pet camera and she said, "you and everyone else I sit for. not a problem." These practice feeds helped me figure out sticky parts of the care instructions. By the time I actually left for the four day holiday, we had done enough feeds to build trust in the instructions and the sitter. I watched but one or two feeds on the camera all weekend. And of course, I'd check in with Krista between feeds and she looked much more relaxed and well taken care of.

In summary, I highly recommend:

1. Clear instructions. Color code things if your instructions are more than three or four things to remember or if anything needs to be measured and match them with the measuring spoons/cups.
2. Practice feeds/sits.
3. Get a camera or two.

CosmoBot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did two more practice feeds with myself across town at dinner watching her on the pet camera. I told her ahead of time that I have a pet camera and she said, "you and everyone else I sit for. not a problem."
omg hilarious. that's awesome!

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you paying her? I am just curious whether she would be willing to go with very specific instructions and frequency if it was free?