Leaving cat in living room when sleeping?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Does anyone else feel like they wake us up on purpose?
I have this string of bells by my door which she only plays with when I'm asleep. Also, if I move a noisy toy into my room that she never plays with, she'll move it to my nightstand and play with it, again, only while I'm sleeping. And every time, she acts like "What? Oh, you can't sleep through this?"
Then again, sometimes she just sits by my head and meows as loudly as she can. Or walks on my neck. Or jumps up and down on my back.
Of course they do it on purpose!

Smidge's new thing is to whisk my glasses right off the nightstand onto the floor. Gee, they only cost $400, oh please do that some more!

OP: Cats are fine if you leave them outside your room. My old cat of my family's was destructive at night and she got locked in the basement, never a problem.

I let Smidge in though b/c she is alone all day and an only cat, and I dont want her isolated for yet another eight hours while I sleep. When she was still a bit of a kitten though, she kept me up way too much and I locked her out. Months later I started leaving my door open, but what do you know? SHe just kept sleeping on the living room sofa anyway and only coming in to my room in the morning to wake me up
I have a fleece blanket she adores so when it is bedtime I put it on the couch for her, she jumps right up into it, curls up, and closes her eyes. She sleeps in that spot whether the blanket is there or not, but I keep up the snuggly blanket ritual for her.

tigeramy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got tired of our cats messing with us when we were sleeping so we locked them out when we slept for a couple of weeks so we could get some sleep. Then we ended up missing them and letting them back in when we sleep, and it wasn't the same, they won't actually sleep in our bed anymore now.

And they also get very insecure if we shut a door and it keeps them out of a room we are in and both of them get very upset.

So whatever you decide...choose wisely.