Leaving cat in living room when sleeping?

caly312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have had my cat (Chili) for 1 1/2 years. She's a 2 year old female American short hair. I close the door to my bedroom when I go to sleep, because she will keep me up, jumping on my bed, if I let her in. Should I let her in and just have her adjust? Is it mean to keep her out in the rest of my apartment? It is roomy - she has her food,water, litter, etc... out there and the couch she sleeps on. I just wanted to get other peoples' opinions. Thank you!

Max

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel it is ok. I had a cat Taz who loved my bed but as she got older she could not jump so I had to keep my door closed or she would of broke her back.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she's used to it, and isn'r crying or stressed out, and is happy and okay with it, then I don't see there being any problem.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fine if she's ok with it and you're ok with it. The first 2 cats I had always slept out in the living room/kitchen - I think they enjoyed the routine (they got a couple of treats at bedtime) although towards the end one of them started crying and scratching at the door at about 4-5am. Now that I've got a new kitty (and one of my original cats) I've relented and let them both sleep in the bedroom. At first I couldn't sleep for their wandering around (older cat tends to settle on the bed but my kitten is all over the place!). However, I'm now starting to get used to it and am able to block out whatever they're up to and just go to sleep. They are getting into a routine and now settle down quite quickly. She'll get used to whatever routine you establish. And if you do decide to let her into the bedroom you will get used to it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fine, my 7 don't sleep with us and they are fine with it.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All depends on what they are used to - Loki sleeps with me - would not have it any other way. My mom's sleep any where they like - they tend to rotate their sleeping spots.

Bottom line - as long as they and you are happy NO problem

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All a personal preference. I can't imagine not sleeping with our kitties but then again, I'm a very deep sleeper so it would take quite a lot to keep me awake.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caly312

Hi everyone,

Should I let her in and just have her adjust? Is it mean to keep her out in the rest of my apartment?
Max
Hi, Max. Welcome to TCS!

I think you should let her in, but she won't be the one adjusting - you will be.

Its not that its mean, keeping her out. Its just that you are missing out on some very good snuggles! Sometimes if our cats are not in our bed, I get up in the middle of the night and get one!

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind cats in the bedroom if they'd sleep.

Last night, for instance, I left the door open. At one point 20 teeth and 5,000 claws grabbed onto one of my feet and sank all the way in. The more I moved my foot the harder they/he attacked- I came up a foot off the mattress, shouted "Ow, ow, ow!!!" then turned over and went back to sleep.
The only way you are safe is to stay under a thick comforter and my A/C bills are high enough as it is.

To be fair I have three 6 month old kittens- I hope things get better as they age. Yes, we play with them actively before we go to bed, but with daylight savings time we turn in before dark and they wake up again for a massive playtime right around 10PM.

I'm remembering to close the door tonight.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean - no matter how sleepy my 4 month old kit is he always wakes up and gets hyper for a bit at bedtime! Imo 1am is not the time for him to discover he can climb on top of the wardrobe
I don't really appreciate being woken up by him playing footsie under the duvet at 5am either but he'll grow out of that (I hope!). And it is lovely to wake up in the morning to find he's crept under the duvet and snuggled up to me. My older cat settles himself down in his favourite spot on the bed and doesn't move all night. There are times when I wonder if I should shut them out but for me the nice things about having them in the bedroom outweigh the bad. And like I said earlier, I'm getting used to them now and am better able to ignore what they're up to.

mrspotts66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
due to allergies, we sleep without kitties. in fact, the doors to all of the bedrooms and bathrooms are closed all of the time. they have full run of the living room, kitchen, family room, foyer and laundry room. plenty of room for 2 mischeivous kitties to play and sleep when we're not around. i don't think it's mean at all.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the kittens will still know and love ya and at the same time respect the fact you need sleep. Shut the door and get some rest. Make sure toys are out for them. Night Night

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats dont sleep with me...they run through the house all day but at bedtime...i go to my room they go to theirs. They have a 10 x 12 room with all their *stuff* Its a jungle gym in there

I didnt let my kids sleep with me when they were home either...they grew up well adjusted

dara678

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I kept my kittens outside at first too ... until one of them learned how to open the door. :-D then I just left the door open so they wouldn't hurt themselves. at first they went wild, but now that they're about a year old, they pretty much sleep through the night -- except my girl, who wakes me up regularly at 4 AM to play (and then i put her out ... she doesn't know how to open the door lol).

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We close our bedroom door as well at night..We have done this since Trout was a kitten and so now she's used to it. She does try to sneak in unnoticed some nights..but then we just coax her out with treats

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Baby Girl sleeps under the blankets with me and Otis usually sleeps around our ankles. He also bites my boyfriends toes in the mornings and Baby Girl and Otis like to wrestle in the morning so I usually kick them out if they're too roudy. No harm in making them learn to be alone a little

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say it's fine if it works for you and you and your cat are happy with it. I could never not sleep with Sash though in the bed cuddling with me, after he's done eating or having his playtime at night I will actually go get him and carry him back in the bed if he doesn't come back in. I just cannot sleep unless my boy is right by my side.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine not having Zissou snuggle with me sleeping. Sometimes she's too busy staring at squirrels and doing whatever it is they do while we're asleep (mwahhhhaaahaaahaaaaaa, she says) to come in. I don't think its wrong though. If she was so stressed out that it'd be wrong, you'd be getting less sleep trying to keep her out than letting her in!

Does anyone else feel like they wake us up on purpose?
I have this string of bells by my door which she only plays with when I'm asleep. Also, if I move a noisy toy into my room that she never plays with, she'll move it to my nightstand and play with it, again, only while I'm sleeping. And every time, she acts like "What? Oh, you can't sleep through this?"
Then again, sometimes she just sits by my head and meows as loudly as she can. Or walks on my neck. Or jumps up and down on my back.

imsandiluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first got my kittens I tried to let them sleep with me but I couldn't get any rest because they were attacking my feet and climbing up on everything and knocking stuff down so I had to put them out. For the first few nights they would cry outside the door and scratch and it was breaking my heart but now they know the routine and everyone is happy. They have a huge kitty condo they sleep on.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...90/t_=30341190