Leaving cat for the first time

TofuHimmie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So in June i will have to go out of town for five days and I can’t bring my Tofu. This will be the first time I leave her for more than one day. On top of that, since the pandemic broke in March last year I’ve been mostly at home with her.

She’s quite clingy, she sleeps next to me and even during the day she spends a few hours on my lap, napping.

I’m worried about leaving her for a day let alone five whole days! Please share tips and tricks to make it easier for her and for the sitter.

2CD9AD11-0401-4E67-B119-FE06A00E655F.jpeg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the sitter going to be living in with Tofu, or checking in multiple times a day? Does she know the sitter, or are they a new, unfamiliar, person?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TofuHimmie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the sitter going to be living in with Tofu, or checking in multiple times a day? Does she know the sitter, or are they a new, unfamiliar, person?
The sitter will be coming in once every day. Tofu knows the sitter, she’s my cousin who lives next door and she comes around to my house quite often.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
How long will your cousin be staying for? Would you both be willing to have her live at your place while you’re gone? If she’s very people oriented, and likes your cousin, that may be easier on her. Leaving a few things that really smell like you can help, as well. Have your cousin keep to as many of your normal routines with her as she can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TofuHimmie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long will your cousin be staying for? Would you both be willing to have her live at your place while you’re gone? If she’s very people oriented, and likes your cousin, that may be easier on her. Leaving a few things that really smell like you can help, as well. Have your cousin keep to as many of your normal routines with her as she can.
She can’t stay in my house since she has kids to care for. Tofu isn’t a people’s person ahahahah she is very picky and sensitive.
What kind of things? Like clothes I wore?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
if she sleeps on your bed, then leaving your bedding unwashed before you leave can help, though a well-worn hoodie or something else soft can also work. I know dogs are more known to take refuge in scents, but my cats will commonly curl up in places that smell most like me when I’m gone :>