Leaving cat for holiday...

malt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there - not sure if this is the right topic to post this under and I'm sorry if I got it wrong. I'm going away for 3 weeks to visit my family in another country. Which means leaving behind my kitty cat :C I took her in after she had been abandoned and I've only had her for not quite 5 months yet. I love her more than anything and I have good reason to believe she loves me as well. She's like a second shadow - she greets me when I get up/come home, she follows me around the house, and she even cries if I shut myself in another room for too long. As I'm writing this she's kneading all over my dressing gown, with me in it. I'll be gone for 3 weeks. I'm still not sure she feels 100% secure that this is her home and that I am her human and that she has me for the rest of her life, you know? She was about a year old when I took her in and she had been abandoned as a kitten/young cat, and while she has settled into being a pet so quickly I get the sense that maybe she feels this is life for now but perhaps not for ever. 

I don't want to leave her. I don't want her to miss me. I don't want her to wonder where I am and if I'll ever come back. I don't want her to think she's been abandoned again. Please reassure me that she won't be too distressed by my absence? (naturally, I'll miss her like crazy...!) 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing you can do is have a friend as a live in cat sitter, and introduce them before you leave so the cat has some familiarity with the person.  If you're just going to have someone visit 1x or 2x a day and give food and clean litter then I can't give you any reassurance.  But if there is a live-in presence that should help a lot.  And leave her some dirty clothes with your scent on it in several locations including her favorite sleeping spots.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have an answering machine, you can also call home when you're away and leave voice messages to "talk" to her. Cats do recognize their human voices on the phone.