Leaving cat for 2 weeks

jfisher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am planning to travel for 2 weeks and we will be leaving our cat home. He is very scared and will not come out if anyone is in our home. Family has visited for several days and he remains hidden the entire time. I have someone coming to feed him and clean his litter box every other day, but I am worried about him emotionally and mentally being alone for so long. We also have a dog and they get along great, but my dog will be staying with family while we are gone. I was not able to get anyone to come stay in our home while we were gone so I have to separate them. I have left my cat alone for a week before and not had any issues, but this seems like so much longer. I am thinking of adopting another cat so he isn't alone. I have 2 months before I leave so I would need to adopt another cat soon. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to help him while I am traveling? Is it a good idea to adopt another cat so the current cat isn't alone? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t get another cat yet. You don’t know how they’d get along, it would make your first cat more stressed. Sometimes it takes a long time for cats to accept another one. When I have gone away for a few days I have always had a radio on for my cats so there wouldn’t be dead silence for them. ( could put it on a timer). I also had a light on a timer for them. The light would also work for making your house occupie. Do you have a window perch? watching the birds would entertain him too.
I think he should be fine having someone stop by every other day to feed him and give fresh water and clean the litter box. I’m sure once the person leaves he would come out. Leave some toys for him.

Ragdolldadnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I agree that a second cat is a risky proposition. Clean litter fresh food and regular human visits is all great. If you can place cat tree or a perch near a window that would help. I also like those auto laser toys that can be programmed to kick on every so often and the cats chase the dot around. I would hide a bunch of treats around the house for your cat to discover and leave music or TV on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jfisher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn’t get another cat yet. You don’t know how they’d get along, it would make your first cat more stressed. Sometimes it takes a long time for cats to accept another one. When I have gone away for a few days I have always had a radio on for my cats so there wouldn’t be dead silence for them. ( could put it on a timer). I also had a light on a timer for them. The light would also work for making your house occupie. Do you have a window perch? watching the birds would entertain him too.
I think he should be fine having someone stop by every other day to feed him and give fresh water and clean the litter box. I’m sure once the person leaves he would come out. Leave some toys for him.
Thank yo so much for your response and ideas! I like the idea of having the TV or music for our cat! We have a tower in his favorite window, I will make sure to leave the blinds open for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jfisher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I agree that a second cat is a risky proposition. Clean litter fresh food and regular human visits is all great. If you can place cat tree or a perch near a window that would help. I also like those auto laser toys that can be programmed to kick on every so often and the cats chase the dot around. I would hide a bunch of treats around the house for your cat to discover and leave music or TV on.
Thank you! I like the idea of hiding treats!