Leaving cat for 2 weeks

moosifursmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have to leave my cat every once in awhile because the Army make me! My roommate will be feeding him/cleaning and said she would spends some time with him. ATM he spends most of his time in my bedroom as we just moved and my roommates terrier tries to attack him. We have slowly been try to get them use to each other but alas the dog is stupid and just thinks kitties a snack.
I'm worried about him being alone in a room for 2 weeks. Last time I left him with my old roommates he had run of the house and he started peeing on my stuff when I didn't come home. Actually every time I get ready to leave he pees on my duffle or rucksack. He knows when i pull my army bags out imgoing! It's only when I'm leaving or gone never when I'm home and being normal. He is a laid back rescue usually. Anyone have any tips or ideas to keep his stress level down so he is happy and my room is not covered in cat pee?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your service--military and rescuing your kitten.

I would use Feliway and, if your roommate is willing, Rescue Remedy drops (put a few drops in wet food).

While your cat is in the room alone, I'd play music and put out some toys he can play with.

And leave some of  your smelly clothing to remind him of your scent.

Finally, I'd work on getting the dog and cat better acquainted/friends.  A dog can keep the cat company and won't be so lonely.  Here is an article about introducing dogs to cats; you might want to start at the beginning.

Finally, there are some medications (prescription) that help a lot in separation anxiety; just to rule out anything medical, a trip to the vet is in order, I think.