Leaving a cat alone for 3 full days?

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I have a 3 year-old female cat and due to a work trip I will be out of the country for 3 days (I’ll leave on monday 4 Am and will be back on wednesday 7-8 Pm.) Unfortunately I have to leave her alone and there is noone that I can trust for petsitting right now.

If I put 2 litter boxes, plenty of water bowls and dry food, will she be fine? I am very stressed and would like to hear about your experiences…

thank you

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If you want my honest opinion, I would still try to find someone to come in and feed, scoop litter boxes, replace fresh water and play with her. Do you have a coworker you can trust? I know some people have timed feeders they use if that would work but I've never used them myself. I would also be sure to leave your contact info. and vet's phone number just as a precaution. Hope all goes well with your work trip and kitty. :crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. Someone needs to check in on your cat and have contact information for you and your vet, as a 'just in case' scenario. Aside from a co-worker, which is a good idea, do you have any neighbors you know who you could ask? You could even offer to pay them a small amount for doing so.

If the trust issue is related to someone having your house keys and you live in a house with a garage door opener, you could have them enter/exit through the garage and then change the door opener code after you return.

Care.com offers pet sitting services, and the folks who apply with them should be able to be trusted, given they go through a background check, and it is on an official record about the sitting agreement. Of course, this method will cost you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all many thanks for your comments. The thing is its almost impossible for someone to check on her while Im gone :( So I’d really appreciate if you can help me what should I do to comfort her while I’m gone for 3 days..

the reason is I am new in town and don’t know anyone yet and I don’t want someone I don’t know to have my keys and access my home while I’m in another city

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, you don't have a garage door opener with a code? As I said, the code can be changed after you return home and no keys would be shared. Yes, someone would be inside your home, there is no way around that. Have you met any neighbors at all? No co-workers?

You could set up baby cams in the home and access them via a computer or phone to check in on her. But, if something came up, the only thing you could do is call the police or animal control, and hide a key somewhere outside so they wouldn't have to break in. I don't mean to be an alarmist and I know others have done the same as you with no issues, but I do know anything is possible and making arrangements, if at all possible, is the best way to make sure you have your bases covered.

Leaving worn unwashed clothing in spots where she hangs out will at least give her something of yours to help comfort her. Placing timers on lights, TV, and/or radios that match the normal routines in your home might also help. I'd also leave water in a sink or bathtub to ensure she has some should she spill her regular water dishes.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to the above, you are asking for litterbox issues. If a cat is insecure they will pee more. Now if both boxes are dirty where is she going to go? The bed? Sofa? Your good rug? You are already disrupting her routine by going away by leaving her alone you make things worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to the above, you are asking for litterbox issues. If a cat is insecure they will pee more. Now if both boxes are dirty where is she going to go? The bed? Sofa? Your good rug? You are already disrupting her routine by going away by leaving her alone you make things worse.
I’m sorry but this attitude is not helping at all. I am already very stressed to leave her alone “involuntarily”. I have to take the trip because of work and I have to work to take care of her. Right?

And no I don’t have a garage as if everyone has to have one (!) or a trusted coworker yet as I said I am new in the neighborhood. I have no other choice here and you are trying to make me feel guilty. I just wanted to have some advice on how to make these 3 days less stressful for her. I try to do my best at all means to take care her for the past 3 years as a responsible owner but sometimes there is no other way and I am not happy about this too.

Thanks for the help anyway.

arethas mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would find a reputable vet or boarding pet care facility. Preferably a vet, in case something should happen, they would be right there. Probably cost $25/$30 per day, but peace of mind means a lot.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No one means to be unhelpful or trying to make you feel guilty - just stating possibilities. Are the comments that have been made in the hopes that you will research all possible solutions to find someone to monitor her? Sure.

But in the end, if you have decided you have no recourse but to leave her alone, then do at least as I suggested with the worn unwashed clothing, the timers, and the backup water. It should help tide her over. As I said there are others who have done what you are about to do and have had no issues. .

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi everyone

I have a 3 year-old female cat and due to a work trip I will be out of the country for 3 days (I’ll leave on monday 4 Am and will be back on wednesday 7-8 Pm.) Unfortunately I have to leave her alone and there is noone that I can trust for petsitting right now.

If I put 2 litter boxes, plenty of water bowls and dry food, will she be fine? I am very stressed and would like to hear about your experiences…

thank you
Could you leave more than two litter boxes out, in case she accidentally tips one over? That happens frequently here. :lol:
I would leave 5-7 days worth of "supplies" for her out (food, water, litter, etc.) in case your flights get delayed. If you're delayed by a day or so, you won't have to worry.
I would also leave some sounds on (TV, radio, etc.) so the house isn't 100% silent. Same with leaving some lights on.
I'm sorry you're stuck in this position. For future reference, websites like next door are good for getting to know the locals and many have threads asking for pet sitters and boarding facilities and people recommend who they like. If you travel for business often, you might find a sitter or boarding facility you really like.
Safe travels! :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to have some advice on how to make these 3 days less stressful for her. I try to do my best at all means to take care her for the past 3 years as a responsible owner but sometimes there is no other way and I am not happy about this too.
I understand you're in a catch 22 position and sometimes there may not be a good viable option. You are doing your best by asking for advice. We know you love your cat or you wouldn't be here asking for our input. Best wishes for a safe trip and safe return home to your kitty. Please keep us posted when you get back. :alright:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but I personally have used a professional service to come in for my cat once a day when I have been traveling for several days or more.

I live in the city of Milwaukee, and there is a service called Milwaukee Pet Services here that offers dog walking and pet sitting. You can sign up online for a block of days, and go from there.

This is just an example (I'm sure it's very unlikely you live in Milwaukee) but this was a service that I actually never knew existed until I had lived here for a couple of years. I have had excellent experience with them. Perhaps there is a similar service near your area?

If that's not available, I still seriously recommend trying to find someone to hire to stop in for your cat... but if there is absolutely no one you feel you can trust to do this, I would buy a water fountain right now.

My first thoughts when reading your comment about leaving "plenty of water bowls" out is evaporation.

It always happens faster than people think. Even for a 3-day period, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving just bowls of water out. I'd want to leave a fountain AND bowls of water.

That way, the fountain will provide continuous water, but if the power goes out and the fountain dies, there is still some water available in the bowls.

That is my primary concern with your scenario.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Petsmart around my area has a Cat Hotel for overnight stays. I have never used it, but it is an option.