Leave At Home Or Take Along?

katat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started staying at my boyfriend's house overnight a few times a week. I've tried leaving my one-year old kitten at home, and bringing her with me (my dog, her friend, also comes along.) When left home she seems to be super needy when i come back. When I take her she starts her meowing around 5 am, rather than her usual 6 am attention seeking. I assume this is because of stress. Which is a less stressful arrangement for her?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say its less stressful for her to stay at home. It might help if you could spend time playing with her for a while before leaving and of course making a big fuss when you go home. Does she have plenty of toys to play with? Not only will she be missing you but also your dog.

duck13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It really depends on the cat. My calico would not eat & threw her hair if left at home or boarded, she loved traveling with me. My grey will not eat away from home & totally freaks out. Kittens are usually my flexible about things - I try to take mine around & expose them to more people & places while young so they are better with it when older.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In general, cats are more about territory than anything else, and once your kitten adjusts to your occasional absences, will more than likely be happier at home in familiar territory. But be sure to give her plenty of attention when you are there!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guess is that the high frequency of changing homes is stressful.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A less stressful arrangement for her is an owner that doesn't regularly abandon her. Either stop staying at your boyfriend's or find her a better home. I'm sorry if you see this as harsh, but she's not a toy. She's a baby.

Whatarecatseven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stay at home. Unless your boyfriend has pressing issues as to why you need to stay at his and he can't stay with you, he should come to you. Its less stress for your pets. They have a routine and they expect you to be there at night. Its like a child.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been married now for a long time, but when I was younger and dating, if it was a situation where we both had pets, we would take it in turns to overnight at each others places. Your cat will be ok with food or water left out overnight occasionally, but it shouldn't be every night.

If your bf doesn't have a pet that needs to be cared for (or a child or elderly relative or something that requires him to be there), then he should be staying with you since you have pets - you didn't say in your opening post whether he also had care considerations.