Leave 2.5 Week Old Kittens And Nursing Mother With Sitters?

Jellyquack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I've taken in a mistreated cat from neglectful neighbours. Poor thing was starving and over grooming and they just didn't care (I've reported them to the Rspca). Turns out she was also pregnant - only about 6 or 7 months old herself.

She's now had 2 beautiful kittens and is being a very good mom, but I'm not sure what to do about a holiday I have booked (late on 1st August returning 5th in the afternoon). The kittens were born Monday morning just after midnight so at this point they will be just over 2 weeks old.

Question is, will they be OK with someone coming in a few times a day or will they need more than that? I also work full time so will be leaving them daytimes anyway - they'll have a room all to themselves and nowhere to get trapped or wander off to (if they can even walk by then?)

Any advice welcome please. This site has been great help learning about cats, so thank you too!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let the cat sitter visit them a couple of times when you are there. So she knows where everything is and momma knows the cat sitter is ok.

If momma is very aggressive its enough the catsitter just changes food water litter.
These can be outside the cat room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jellyquack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. At that point will they be walking? Should I have them in a high sided box to prevent them getting far away from mom and cold, or will they still be mainly just shuffling around nursing?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma and dont want them to go around till 3 weeks. After that they can climb some. So a high sided box is good till this day.
Be sure the room is kitten safed.

Jellyquack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.

As you can tell this is all new to me! I didn't even think I liked cats!

To put minds at rest too, both the kittens have loving trusted homes to go to, I'll keep them until they've been vaccinated. Momma cat is staying with me and I understand I should have her spayed once the kittens are weaned - she's not happy going outside anyway so no more kittens here.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if available where you are, but a WiFi camera can help keep your mind at ease when not at home. I have one called cleverdog and had it on a tripod pointed at the nest when out at work. Was relatively inexpensive (30 pounds from amazon).

Jellyquack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ho!

Momma cat has started to show signs that her ear is bothering her, not often, but every now and again a vigorous head shake.

I can't see anything that looks like mites would, but it does just look a bit moist in there.

She was treated with flea drops on 27th June but I don't know if these would kill mites, she was worm dropped the week after.

Vets? Or wait and see for more symptoms?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would get her checked by the vet. She may need treatment for mites or infection that are deeper in her ear.