Leash Walk - Photos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just remember it takes a lot to get them used to it. when I first put the harness on Chrissy, she just fell over on her side and refused to move! 15 minutes the first day, and longer each day until she got used to it. Once they are running around the house with it on they are ready. Burt was fine with his, no problems, never tried to escape. Chrissy was a Houdini! She would turn around backwards and slip right out. Remember a cat CAN escape, especially when they are scared, like when a dog rushes out, so don't take them far from home. I finally ended up getting a figure 8 harness for her that tightened if she tried to get out of it. It got to when i brought out the harnesses they would both run to the door. People would stop their cars and stare, and take pictures, so make sure your kitty will be good around extra attention!
chloe does good with the hardness, we put it on her to wear around the house and she doesn't seem to mind.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Norachan Norachan - No slight intended, but you have so many cats that every cat in the world looks like at least one of yours!

;)
I just need a long haired red tabby and a pure white cat with odd eyes and then I'll have a full set!

This is my parent's cat, Dusty. They're getting on a bit now, so her walks are limited to the back garden and the field behind their house, but she used to go with them on camping trips. I think she must have been to every camping and caravan park in the South of England.

Dusty1.jpg
Dusty3.jpg
Dusty6.jpg

Stoptopanic!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that that would be an amazing idea. Sadly I don't have any pictures, and my parents would never be on board with the idea after my cat Rigger's reaction to snow! But I could totally do this idea when I am an adult. By the way, I am only 13 years old and adore cats. I have 3 of my own. They are so cute but so rotten!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Zaren and Kane rarely went outside so they always went on a leash. I lived in an apartment back then.

Kane.

Taz and Zoe started on a leash but both can go outside off leash now. They don't leave our property. It took a bit of chasing them onto the neighbors property but they have learned their boundaries. They are only allowed outside when we are with them.

Zoe on the front lawn.
Zoe looks like my late Floey. She was the same way-she HATED harness training-and would stay right in the yard-occasionally she would slip next door when I wasn't watching...a spray bottle of water was all i needed to train her to stay in her yard....she would be so sneaky-lay down and watch me-then when I was engrossed in gardening she would slink off and I always caught her out of the corner of my eye. If i stood up she came running back home=she knew she was in trouble..which I then scoop her up and put her back in the house...which earned me a hiss from her..that only happened a few times...She learned to listen and stay in the yard...she didn't listen to Jon that well.

He was always chasing her home..LOL I said you have to use the water otherwise she thinks it's a game. Well Floey has been gone since July 2016 and I sure miss my yard kitty. I think it's great that folks train their cats to stay in the yard. It is possible. Treats. Spray water bottle. Lots of patience. LOL.

Floey used to walk with me all over the place. The railroad bed around the big lake in Manchester, the flea market in Londonderry then we went walking in the woods out back. As she got older she was content with walks around the neighborhood but it was slow going-she had to sniff every blade of grass and rock. But she always stayed with me. I started her training when we lived in the city-there was a church behind our house and we woudl walk around the church yard-she followed me and run up and down the trees..she was probably 2 or 3 then. Then in the woods in other areas-whereever there were trails she happily walked ahead of me like a dog. Loved car rides as well. She was a very strange cat but we loved her.

We got her shaved every summer. Here she is laying on the lawn swing.
DSCN7362.JPG

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Wrong thread! No additional words needed. The pawsitive thread's over here:

The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

How many tabs ya got open, girl?

;)
crap. you got me...oh I have 3 tabs open...I guess that means I am 3 tabs over the line?!!! :flail:

At least for the next hour or so I won't be here...so then I can reset myself...hahaha, now don't shut me off! I promise not to do it again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, we tried talking Chloe out again but she seems to be to scared. she just runs back inside the house.
I tried giving her treats when she comes out a little out of the window and tried putting her on the grass but she just ran back inside the house. Any tips? Am I doing it wrong ?