Leash training with a kitten

Black Cats Abundant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm working towards a goal of being able to bring my cat places with me. Leash training is something I had expected to take a rather long time, and perhaps not even work out, but my kitten has taken to the harness and leash quickly. She's already at the point where I can take her around outside and she will confidently lead me around the yard and explore every inch. I expect I can take her to TSC this week.

Day 1 outdoors: Frightened by all the new sights, smells, and especially noises. The ducks and chickens served for a huge new sensory experience! This first trip was quick so as to not stress her out with all of these strange things. During her time outside that day she mainly hid in the bush by the house, this bush she would later turn into home base, as the cool air from underneath the house blows out in that shady spot, allowing for some relief from the heat.

Day 2 outdoors: Headed straight for the bush. This time she did not hide, but instead sat in the vent to cool off. It was much hotter that day and I don't blame her for wanting to escape the heat! Eventually she chose to venture out and explore the small area against the house. This area also happens to be a favorite of the chickens, so she began to chase some of the feathers they had dropped there while dust bathing.

Day 3 outdoors: Did not head for the bush, instead, she lead me to the garden where she weaved in and out of the garden beds and through the overgrowth of the strawberry plants. She rolled around a bit in the mulch before chasing a butterfly into the grass. She then headed over to the coop to get a closer look at the chickens, who in turn, were awed by the strange creature now eyeing them. I took her inside when she began panting due to the extreme heat and sun.

Day 4 outdoors: Very confident and excited. Lead me to the garden again and to a new area nearest the hill. She dug around in the mulch before she headed off towards the center of the yard and the barn. I picked her up and brought her to the barn to explore. She found a cicada under the doors which she played with for about fifteen minutes. She surfed through cobwebs hanging down and played with hoof clippings left out by the horse things.

I'll update this when she takes her first trip to TSC.