leash and harness

meshas mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to get a leash and and harness to use on my kitty when i go out and take her with me. Any suggestions as to the best brand? And advice on using this with my kitty. She hates the carrier and associated it with going to the vet.

catbythesea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The harness I use with Warbear is the Kitty Holster, made by Crazy K Farm. It looks like this:

It goes around the neck and under the belly. It has very strong velcro as the attachment. The reason I like it so much is that it is very secure and comfortable for the cat. It's so secure that the cat can be suspended by the D-ring without choking. (Don't actually do that though. The cat would really be unhappy about it! They like having support under their feet.)  Warbear can pull and tug on that thing, and she won't escape. The only thing is to not let the cat pull backwards, i.e. the cat is backing away from you. That's the most likely way for them to get out of most any harness. What I did when Warbear tried that was to just move toward her so the leash was never taut. She found that there was nothing to pull against, thus, no reason to pull. Warbear got comfortable in this harness after four outings, enough so that she no longer tries to escape at all. Some cats get so comfortable in this harness that they will wear it around the house instead of a collar! 

So this is the one I'd recommend from my experience. They come in lots of pretty colors, and you can even get really fancy ones if you want. The sizing is pretty flexible; each size harness fits a range of cat measurements. Warbear seems to like hers just fine! Here are some more pictures of her in it.