Learning About Cat Shows

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Other than this forum (all 9 million pages - I've read almost 60 pages now...), TICA and CFA websites, where else can I learn all about cat shows? I want to get involved in the future, I've decided I want to start by showing an alter. I dont have a breed chosen yet (my furrbabies are both moggies from the shelter, they're now older cuddle bugs and bed hogs) but I'm going to have more time on my hands once my non furry types leave the house in a couple of years and head off to college. As I've had a few minutes here and there I've been reading all I can about breeds, about how shows work, and trying to see if there's even any shows in my area. Btw my husband thought I was crazy when I told him I might want to show cats when the girls leave for college. He looked at me like this:
LOL

Any other great advice you can point me toward? Thanks for all the posts and discussions you've had in the past, I'm learning a TON and can't wait to join the ranks (even if that wait is still a ways in the future)!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm going to have to see if I can get to any of the nearby shows. The only shows I've seen have been the couple I've caught on TV in the past. I think I've only found -one- that is actually close, the rest are gonna be 6-8 hour drives. How far does everyone typically travel for a show?

Sounds like time to plan some vacations to go visit some shows. A weekend away is a good thing!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am posting from a Motel
The show I went to this past weekend was 3 hours from my area.
I plan on showing at Arcadia which is 6 hours from here and Reno which is 4 hours away.
What breeds have you thought of getting?

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really havent thought about the breed too much yet, since I'm still probably a couple of years away from actually doing this. I'm still reading about all of the breeds, a couple at a time so I can learn all about them. So that gives me plenty of time to do my research and learn what I need to learn, and lots of time to make a good, solid decision on who will be coming to live with our family when its time.

In the meantime I can live vicariously though everyone else's showing and breeding so that I can learn more.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamarae

Thanks! I'm going to have to see if I can get to any of the nearby shows. The only shows I've seen have been the couple I've caught on TV in the past. I think I've only found -one- that is actually close, the rest are gonna be 6-8 hour drives. How far does everyone typically travel for a show?

Sounds like time to plan some vacations to go visit some shows. A weekend away is a good thing!
The most I have had to drive to get to a show is 8 hours. My upper limit is 10-11 hours, but so far I've not needed to drive so far.

If a show is less than 4 hours away, I sometimes will wake up early and drive the morning of the show so that I can save on hotel costs. However, I have had some cats that are a complete PITA if I make them sit in the car that long, so in that case I will get a hotel to keep them happy. They're the ones competing, afterall!

I typically stay at Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, and LaQuinta hotels. They are pet friendly and I can often get reduced rates for them. I'll look around neighboring cities for cheaper hotels. My commute to work is nearly an hour, so it doesn't bother me. When you show frequently, you have to find ways to reduce travel costs or else you'll go broke in this hobby!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Minnesota. We go to shows from 2-6 or 7 hrs driving time (from where we live). I show ACFA (just recently decided to quit showing CFA - only 2 shows in my area).

The show basics are outlined in the sources you mentioned, but if you have specific questionsn, just ask in here and we can help. I've shown cats (from HHP's to purebreds) for more then 25 yrs. now. Currently we are showing in the alter class with our Ocicat (he's granded recently). We plan on another Ocicat kitten either later this year or next - he's on reserve waiting to be be born.

My son lives in Dallas and he wanted us to come down to a cat show and bring the cats. However, I looked on CFA and ACFA's show schedule and there really are no cat shows in the Dallas area. I have NO idea why not other then there are no cat clubs in the area. Dallas is a pretty big city. Houston has a show (CFA I think). I'm not sure where in Texas you are.

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in Lubbock, and its like 6 hours to anywhere bigger. I havent found a local cat club here. I noticed there's 1 show in Amarillo the end of this month, that's only 2 hours from here. Unfortunately my daughter has a dive meet on the same day so I don't know if I'll get to go to that one or not to spectate.

I'm 6ish hours from OKC, same for Albuquerque, NM and Dallas/Ft. Worth (there's a show coming up in Fort Worth, and one in Waxahachie that I saw.. dont remember which association off the top of my head). Houston is 8 or so hours, anywhere farther down south is.. a pain. LOL

Do show formats differ much between TICA and CFA or is it more a matter of which one has more clubs of that sort that host that "brand" of show in the area?

Luckily I have lots of time to learn.

Oh yeah I did have one question - When the time comes, I'm thinking I want to show alters, probably females (I prefer female kitties.. have lost 2 males to the heartbreak of blockages way before it should have been their time I think). I don't see me breeding in the near future, so I'd have no reason to show entire or intact cats, correct?

So how long do you show an alter for, provided the cat likes to be shown? I realize the premise of the show for an intact cat is to get them titled and to keep up with breed standards to make beautiful kittens, but what about the fixed purrbabies?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can show alters for years as long as they want to show. My best alter show cat was my Cornish Rex - he was shown from a kitten to about age 7 or so when I stopped showing him. He LOVED shows and got many regional/national awards just about every year shown.

I'm opposite of you - I prefer males (neutered) to show. None of my females (spayed or not) enjoyed showing. I just had a lot better luck with the boys. TICA and CFA really are pretty different in a lot of ways. TICA allows the Bengals to be shown. CFA will not allow any cat crossed with a wild cat in the show hall. And CFA will not allow any declawed cat to be shown.

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the great info today

Hopefully I can find a fairly local show to go to in the next few months, and we'll go from there. I've got lots of time to read about breeds now too, and hopefully visit them at the shows to see who might fit best into my household when the time comes.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I drove 3 hours to my first show as a serious spectator. . .

There is a CFA show in Albuquerque this weekend
Not sure if a six hour drive is worth it unless you're showing, but who am I say how far is too far?

I can tell you're putting a lot of thought into showing a cat, and breeders are going to respect that about your decision. If you can't make it to a show, you cat still research the various breeds to see what appeals to you. Begin by narrowing down what you want in a cat --- LH? SH? Something a little in-between? Pom-pom tails? Fox tails? No tails? Long, elegant bodies? Short, cobby bodies? Big hooty-owl eyes? Do you like pointed cats? Blue cats? Curly haired cats? Naked cats? There really is something for everybody. . . and we're only talking about looks, not even temperament, activity level, and breed histories!

And be prepared to find yourself in love with a breed that you never expected to catch your eye

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found that showing cats was not for me, but I love going to cat shows and taking photos of the cats. You just never get to see so many unusual kitties all dolled up to perfection in any other place.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How far does everyone typically travel for a show?
An hour
Our shows are held locally around the city. 2-3 shows a month so no real travel required for most who show here.

I don't see me breeding in the near future, so I'd have no reason to show entire or intact cats, correct?
Most breeders won't sell you an entire cat anyway, and the kitten should be neutered before you get him/her.

Some breeders websites include a bit about showing http://www.purrinlot.com/cat-show.htm

Good luck choosing a breed