Lazy Stubborn Fat Cat

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While not being the naysayer (everyone has good advice) I have other things to add. Ultimately I moved my males to homemade raw because it was cheaper than canned food, and they were moved to canned food for urinary reasons.
However, going back to 2013, we did dry food prescription program Metabolic. Tommy's weight was 21 lbs. His set calorie amount was 225 calories per day, and at that rate, he took 4 years to reach 13 lbs. FOUR YEARS. He also was not very active. Hearing that other users are saying your cat needs at least 400-500 calories blows my mind. That is usually for an large active cat who is maintaining their weight.
If you end up sticking with kibble, and he is an only child, I would recommend trying something like this Indoor Hunting Feeder: Cat Food Dispenser | Doc & Phoebe’s Cat Co. where he has to go find his meals and use his instincts.
Taking Tom from a free feeding lard to a calorie restriction meant scheduled meals so we could spread his allowance out throughout the day. We end up with 5 1/2 feedings a day.
When we moved to wet food it was with a dense pate. Nature's Variety Instinct was about 205 calories per 5.5 oz can, so he would get 1.2 cans per day. The changes to wet food, and lowering his carbohydrate consumption continued to increase his efficiency, and he'd require more and more food and has the energy of a kitten. He's 12 1/2 lbs, almost 10 years old, and taking in around 265-300 calories on rabbit and turkey raw.

My other male has just a slightly smaller frame, is a half pound less than Tommy, but he uses much less per day. He's getting 4.5 cubes of food mix, while Tom is eating 7. Stewart is also three years younger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pacmanmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many calories are in the Crave canned food? Is it a 3 oz can or a 5.5 oz can? I'd feed by calorie than by the feeding chart on the label. Pet food companies often overestimate how much to feed. Personally I feel that they do that so you go through the food much faster and have to buy more food more often which means more money for the company.

22.8 lbs should be around 456 to 570 calories daily. Feed that for awhile and then slowly reduce the calories by 50 or so. Keep that up for a week or so and then reduce a little bit more. Repeat until the goal weight has been achieved and is maintained.
I got these little two serving containers it says one serving is 37.5g and a website I found says their chicken pate is 97 calories per 100g. So I'm guestimating that one serving would be about 40 calories?

Pacmanmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very glad to see @LTS3's calorie figures, since get right to the point on that! The big thing is to take the weight loss slowly.

I agree about feeding wet food: it's really the best (most often only!) way to help a cat lose weight. Our previous cat was pretty heavy because we fed her only dry food for years and we dutifully switched her to diet dry food, on the vet's recommendation, but she only gained more weight. Many of those foods have less protein and more carbs than a brand's regular food, which is the last change you want to make with an overweight cat! The vet we take our new cats to is a big advocate of wet food only, high protein, low carbs, which means avoiding grains, potato, peas, and other odd things like lentils and chickpeas that companies often put in as filler. We stick to that!

P Pacmanmom , you may find this thread about a 27-pound cat helpful. @mschauer fed the cat Fancy Feast Classics, which are low in carbs, reasonably priced, and pretty universally loved. If you want to compare carbs for various foods, have a look at this gigantic PDF chart of cat food nutritional information. It's a bit overwhelming at first and it doesn't contain all foods but it's pretty helpful. Some of the canned foods our cats particularly like are Wellness Core (kitten food and turkey/duck are the lowest in carbs) and Fancy Feast Classics. Sheba pates are also a very decent one, though our cats don't like them as much!

Finally: I totally agree about blood work, too! We even had basic blood work done on our cats when they were about two, just to have a baseline. Your cat -- what is his name, by the way? -- is at a good age for doing a basic test, too. So many things can be caught early and treated!
Thanks for the insight! Definitely transitioning to wet after learning all of this! I checked out some of that thread the other day, what a great transformation for that cat. If he doesn't like the food I got I'll give the fancy feast a try. I'll check out that other link too. His name is Pacman. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the insight! Definitely transitioning to wet after learning all of this! I checked out some of that thread the other day, what a great transformation for that cat. If he doesn't like the food I got I'll give the fancy feast a try. I'll check out that other link too. His name is Pacman. :)
I know, that cat's story is amazing! I think the only thing that kept our cat from really gaining weight is that we started feeding her some canned food -- we were totally clueless about cat feeding then so did that more as a treat to her than because we thought it would be healthier. Basically, I think it at least stabilized her weight until she got older and then began losing because of illness. (She lived a long life, to at least 17 so I don't mean that in a scary sense!)

The food chart is a great resource and there's tons on that site, just catinfo.org, about feline nutrition, too, if you want to read more about why reducing carbs is a good strategy. I love Dr. Pierson's site: it was what first taught me why we'd been feeding Brooskie all wrong and showed me how we should feed our next cats.

lalagimp lalagimp 's post has some very good tips on weight reduction, too: dense pates are good for satiety (I suspect the Crave you bought is probably calorie dense, Fancy Feast, which is similar, certainly is) and feeding lots of small meals a day does wonders to keep our always-hungry cat (she's not overweight but would be in a second if she were free fed) from pestering. Oh and by coincidence, I bought and fed Sheba beef pate yesterday and both cats liked it. Little things like that make me happy.

Good luck with Pacman's diet program!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a thought out of left field--- get him a kitten. If it worked, and I have no idea what the chances are that it would, the kitten would keep him up and moving, would eat most anything since they are always hungry and would ensure there is no extra left over food. It would be interesting to see if it would help. Document the process and progress and write it up into a journal.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do get a kitten, be sure you have a safe place for kitten to eat the extra meals he'll need at his age. A kitten would certainly perk up everyone's activity level, particularly yours.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do get a kitten, be sure you have a safe place for kitten to eat the extra meals he'll need at his age. A kitten would certainly perk up everyone's activity level, particularly yours.
OMG, yes! (On both counts!) Kittens take a lot of energy -- I knew that but didn't remember how much until we adopted our two cats at ten months after having just said goodbye to a seventeen-year-old cat we'd had for years. What a difference! They're now almost six and still run around and play together, it's great that they have company. We feed them separately, too!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew someone who did the same thing, only with standard poodles. Such a nice, elegant lady, such a nice elegant 18 year old lady poodle. When the poodle crossed they acquired a standard poodle puppy, who was every where all. the. time.

His lady said, "We got our girl as a puppy. We did fine with her, so we thought we'd be fine with him. We forgot that her 18 years meant we were 18 years younger when she was a puppy."

They kept him, but the elegant fashions were a thing of the past.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hearthrob::redheartpump: to that story, K Kflowers ! We'd adopted our seventeen-year-old cat when she was around five (we think!) so she was an adult; the last time I'd had a kitten was in the early nineties. These two cats are still pretty kittenish sometimes but at least there's not as much non-stop activity. (I type as one stares me down asking for her afternoon snack... they still eat a ton for their age and size!)

Pacmanmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would
Just a thought out of left field--- get him a kitten. If it worked, and I have no idea what the chances are that it would, the kitten would keep him up and moving, would eat most anything since they are always hungry and would ensure there is no extra left over food. It would be interesting to see if it would help. Document the process and progress and write it up into a journal.
I would love to get him a kitten but we have a five month old and I think it would be too chaotic. Pacman's really good with the baby I barely need to worry about him scratching or biting. Thanks for the suggestion though I'll keep it in mind!

Pacmanmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just wanted to post an update! I've switched pacman over to all wet and he takes the high quality stuff well so no issues with his stool this time (Yay!).

He was eating Crave great but I realised once I stopped feeding him dry that it would be really expensive to do exclusively, so I'm trying Wellness pates. They are still grain free but I can get them a little cheaper in bulk. The cans are 12.5 oz and close to 400 cals so I figure one a day and start reducing from there.

I originally posted that he would rather starve than exercise for his good but turns out that's only true for dry! Before I feed him wet most times I make him follow me and do one or two laps around a partition of wall in my apartment that's about the size of a car. He's getting more playful, jumping on things he wasn't before, and walks quicker. It's great.

Today we got a scale and weighed him and he's down almost three pounds already! I'm thrilled I didn't think it would be that fast. Just hoping we can keep it up now. I'll keep posting updates as I go and appreciate any more tips/feedback.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
This is fine, but don't go too fast!
You can actually cause more issues with a fast weight loss than the initial situation.

I'd personally stay at this weight for a while, let your cat stabilize at this current weight, and then very gradually start again.

Pacmanmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
This is fine, but don't go too fast!
You can actually cause more issues with a fast weight loss than the initial situation.

I'd personally stay at this weight for a while, let your cat stabilize at this current weight, and then very gradually start again.
Thanks for the input! It's been about a pound a week so far but I can slow down for sure. Basically just feeding him the right amount for his current weight and still keeping up some exercise should be okay right?