Laxapet Gel 100g - Cat Drooling And Looks Frightend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

3 days ago i gave my cat Laxapet Gel 100g a 2 cm strip gel to help her with hairballs .
Today this morning, my cat refused to eat, was drooling
excessively (she never drools) , didnt want to drink or move. So i had a look at her again before i went to work after 30 minutes, she looked ok got up and decided she wanted to sleep in the shrub.

So i got back from work now, my cat eyes are wide opened, she isnt drooling anymore , but she refuses to eat, but will drink water (rain water), she did have diareah i think as you can see her bottom is wet and smells like poo but chemically. The same smell that i smelt from Leo which passed away 3 months ago. He was drooling, eyes wide opened and refused to eat but only drink and had diareah and the same smelling bottom. Is this a
common side effect with Laxapet Gel ? It only contains : Paraffin 400mg/g. is this safe for cats. Im thinking there is something wrong with this product. HAs anyone had this happen to their cat before. When i spoke to the vet about Laxapet Gel, he said it causes a propulsion effect in the stomach and bowel to make the animal pass the stool . I think it did damage to my cat cause she looks like she is in shock and is scared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i just checked on my cat again, she is walking around and is drinking water only, then she quickly went back to sleep in her house. I did a few searches regarding the laxapet gel and i cant find any information if anyone had this problem before. I checked the backyard and all over the place incase there is poison somewhere but there is nothing. And since leo has passed away, i have brought MC to the backyard were she always stays in, she never goes to the front yard anymore which is fine by me as there is too many dogs walking there. Ill keep you guys updated. I think i wont feed her just for tonight to settle her stomach with the water she prefers to drink only, i think it may have caused some sever cramping in the stomach. Im never going to use this laxapet again.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i went to check on her again, she moved from her house to the other bed, and she was awake when i came out. Her ears was a bit cold and paws a bit cold so i put a fleece blanket on her with a hand warmer to keep her warm a bit. She let a little meow and fell alseep for now. She looks miserable :( I am sure its the Troys Laxapet Gel, cause that is the only thing that would give her diarrhea like that. :( Hopefully she isnt going to die on me or something like that :(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call your vet for advice? If the vet office is closed, there 's usually an after hours message with instructions on who to call.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The 24 hour vet here are more concerned about dogs, they are the same vet i took my cat leo too and spent $2500 dollars to find out nothing from them and ended up putting him down in less that 4 months :( I went in to check his leg, instead i ended up paying for his teeth to be pulled out, when i wanted xrays done. The consult visits i spent the time talking to the vet about because he wanted to talk about them, while i was trying to get my cat checked. I think with my cat MC , that the laxative with paraffin did something to her. But she has stopped drooling and is drinking water at this point , its 10 pm now so she sleeps at this time. Her eyes is back to normal and she was walking ok. So at this point i think i will keep an eye on her every few hours.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds more like a poison, an overdose, or a reaction to that product. After three days, it is vital you get her eating again before her liver is affected. Definitely keep her inside, she would be too weak to fight off a predator. Get some kitten milk replacer and see if she will eat that, don't worry about what she eats right now, just get her eating. That she is drinking is good. You may want to get some pedalyte, plain, for infants, to counteract the diarrhea and dehydration. Offer tuna juice, Gerber baby food in turkey, anything she really liked previously. she is veru nauseated, I would call the vet and see if you can get her in or if he could give you something. My cats love shaved deli turkey, she may liek a little of that and it is bland. Please keep us posted!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
today she still wont eat but will drink water, and she meows when she tilts her head forward to drink i have seen, she meows like a hollow meow when she is leaning forward, and when laying on her stomach she makes a high pitched meow when her head is tilted down. She is going to the vet tomorrow, i think something is lodged in her throat, i tried to open her mouth but she wont let me, but will open it to drink and meow. She isnt panting heavily and is breathing fine, i tried to give her meloxicam for pain, but she wouldnt let me with the syringe but i got some on her mouth and she licked her lips a little. I hope its something simple.

When i spoke to the vet, she thinks its an reaction to the Troy Laxapet gel which contains paraffin, so im taking her first thing in the morning.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seh has gone too long wothout eating, if you can't get some kitten milk down her, she really needs to get to the vet. I'm so sorry.......I'll pray fro yoru little girl.....

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well shes going to the vet tomorrow morning , she has drank more water. According to vet websites they say a cat can go two weeks without eating as long as they are drinking water, and she is drinking heaps of water. Its only been 1 and a half days atm, and if i could and had 24 hour emergency vets that answers their phone this morning i would of taken her in, instead they didnt answer their emergency phone number. So much for a 24 hour vet in my area. The RSPCA here only opened at 9.30 am and finishes at 3.30 pm . In sydney for a simple procedure they charge $70 to 90 dollars for a look at the pet, and then in other states in australia its only $45 dollars.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What vet web sites are you looking at? Be wary of web sites that are not associated with a veterinary school or veterinary hospital or other reputable source. Fatty liver disease can quickly set in if a cat does not eat enough calories for more than 48 hours.

Try syringing watered down canned cat food into your cat to get some calories in. There are additional suggestions on getting food into your cat here: My Cat Stopped Eating

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i have tried to syringe watery food into her mouth, the problem is she keeps her jaw in a lock, she is a tiny cat with a small mouth, and when i did get the chance to put watered food in her mouth she closed her mouth and held it there and it dribbled out. I will check the website. The strange thing is she will only drink rain water and nothing else now. If i mix food into the rain water she would touch it. Ill check the link.

I am worried when i pull her head back to pry her jaws open if there is something in the throat it will be pushed further back.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her in the house and keep her there. Not only can't she fight off predators or run, she may disappear before her vet appointment.

Prayers to both of you.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well i took my cat into the vet this morning and another relative attended as i had to be a work, and apparently they had a black out so they couldn't test for anything or xray anything but only observation , but she checked her mouth and she has a mouth infection, there was nothing in the throat. She gave the injection Cefovecin Sodium and charged $135 bucks for doing absolutely nothing else. So i have meloxicam at home, and tried to put it in her mouth again but it was pretty difficult as she refuses to open her mouth even though i wrap her around a blanket with her paws covered, she still refuses, but with some struggle i got 2 ml into her, i dont know if it will work. She still runs to the rainwater area of the house were it collected and doesn't want to eat or drink anything else. I tried to force feed her some tuna broth i got two shots of liquid food and water but that is about it for now . I knew i should of went to the RSPCA instead they would have been cheaper , the private vet is useless they charge an arm and a leg $70 for consultation, $65 for the antibiotic. Then they want to charge $450 on top of that is all together $585 for something they think is wrong with her. i have tried milk, water, watered tuna, salmon paste, chicken mince with water, changed the bowls of water to glass, changed the water type , but she still wont drink it. only rain water. I am thinking she may have Stomitis and when researching cefovecin antibiotic should work well " fingers crossed " . I dont get paid till next week and stupid tenant didnt pay me their rent and everything is gone to shit hole, with money. I dont know what else to do, none of the vets will work out a payment plan for me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't force anything on her that isn't absolutely necessary. Get her some high calorie treats or kitten food to tempt her, dry or wet, anything to get her going. My cats adore shaved deli turkey, adn Arby's roast beef, you might try it. melxicam causes decreased appetite and may be too strong fro her gum tissues, i wouldn't give unless absolutely necessary.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i didnt know meloxicam did that :( every food i put near her nose she turns her head away, but she looks for the rainwater but there is none , i dont know how long she can go without eating, i am hoping that the antibiotic kicks in and makes her want to eat something. So far it has been 2 days that she hasn't eaten and she is an old cat :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A feeding tube would cost less than that $600 bill. It would be a lot less stressful than your force-feeding sessions. It would make medicine a whole lot easier. It would buy you time for the medicine to work and the infection to clear up. Or to get a second opinion. I promise you your cat will be far less bothered by it (most don't even mind it) than you will. It could save her life.
Feeding Tubes For Cats

Until then....

Antibiotics will mess with her appetite and possibly make her nauseated. Ask for an anti-nausea drug and an appetitie stimulant.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should keep your cat in the house when she has a feeding tube. It's safer.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe this is a reaction to the Laxapet gel. Paraffin is inert and wouldn't cause a delayed reaction. It's just wax, to lube up her insides. I think she was poisoned, and since your other cat had the same symptoms, I think he was too. Since she goes outside it could be anything---car chemicals and pesticides are the most common cat poisons. I recommend getting her to the RSPCA vet as soon as you can. I hope she feels better soon!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mc was put down this morning :( According to the vet she had no issues with her mouth, i saw and it was all clear. They said she was suffering from kidney failure :(
This time i was glad to be with her in her last moments, i petted her and kissed her and watched her in the eyes when she passed and when it was time to leave her i didnt want to leave her dead on the table alone. It went fast almost 3 seconds :(
Here is a pic of her in her good years. She has been with me for 19 years she was gentle, patient, independent and caring to leo when he was sick. I will miss her and leo.
1606904_342857629240590_4460357759973972134_n.jpg
10348834_248807691978918_2444309062187866405_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.