Launching into homemade raw!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today l made batches 3 and 4. This time l used 6 whole quails (they look like frogs, lol), and beef for batch one. The other batch was beef, pork, and chicken meat/skin only - this was my first batch using bone meal rather than grinding bones. l went crazy and bought 8 sirloin roasts since it was $2.99/lb and that's going to save me big bucks in cat food! l also stocked up on chicken livers, hearts and gizzards, 6 more quails, and 6 more pork tenderloins (also on sale). So l came home with all this stuff (plus 4 pkgs of Carnivora since l was in that neighbourhood), with the intention of making at least 3 batches, maybe more since l picked up plastic 14oz containers. After the first 2 batches were made, l put them in the freezer and realized there was a problem! lt wouldn't all fit - and l still had all the new meat in the fridge that still had to be frozen!!

Michael took everything out and rearranged it so now every cubic inch is being used, but everything is in there. We just have to be very mindful when opening the door 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Before we got the chest freezer on craigslist, opening the freezer door was practically an art - and arranging it was also Gary's job, he's much better at "volume control" than I am. :lol3:

Make sure you let us know how they like the new recipe!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lt's a good thing we humans don't need a freezer for OUR food 

l've taken out 2 of the bone-meal jars for tomorrow, and will take a container of the quail recipe for the following day.

l'll let you know how it goes 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, mixed reviews on the bonemeal batch (mostly beef/pork with a little chicken).

l gave 3 bowls of half Weruva and half raw for the first taste test, in case they didn't like it.

Bretten and Rhys ploughed into the raw first, then ate the Weruva. Tanner would only eat Weruva.

When l was at work, Michael gave them raw-only for lunch. They all ate it but Tanner hurled it up not long after 

When l got home tonight, l gave them half-raw and half-canned Go! This time all three went for the raw first, and so far so good, everything is still on the inside 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well sounds like they liked it actually! Poor Tanner... I wonder what caused it? The first batch included venison, didn't it? So red meat doesn't sound like it's a problem... :dk:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, l thought that too. l ground up a small venison cut that was a deep rich burgundy (l'd never actually seen venison before 
 ).

Tanner did yak up both the Lamb and the Venison flavours of the canned Nature's Variety. But he has what l call a dodgy stomach.

He's been doing really well on the raw so far so l can't complain. And his supper is digesting as we speak, so he can't be that sensitive to it.

Tomorrow's fare is the lighter bone-in mix with mostly quail, pork, and a little beef, so l don't anticipate any problems there.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same thing with the quail mix, the one cat threw it up not long after eating it. l guess the beef content makes more of a difference than l thought.

Since l have none of the old batch left, l've gone back to "transition phase" so that Tanner can eat only canned food if he wants to. He is eating the raw first but there's not enough of it to make him sick, so the vomiting has stopped for now.

l bought Carnivora finally, (and just about fell on the floor when the cashier asked for $137 for 4 pkgs of Carnivora and 6 cans of Weruva!!!!)

They will eat the rabbit but don't seem to enjoy it. The other packages are turkey (for the cats), bison (for the dog) and beef offal (mostly for the dog).

l'm going to look for a small used freezer so l can have space for human food above the fridge, and take advantage of any raw food sales rather than buying when needed.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, l went to the carnivora.ca website and noticed that the Turkey does not appear in their products listing.

Do any of the Canadians on here use Carnivora? Do you know if the Turkey is a new product, or an old one being phased out?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't even sniff it, let alone eat it. l won't be buying the Turkey again.

Tanner, the expressive one, wasn't content to look at it and walk away as the others did. He went up to it, looked at me, lifted both feet off the ground and pivoted so he could fling himself away from it to show me his disgust. He's so dramatic.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't really like turkey either. I wonder what's so different from chicken :dk:. I think it tastes almost the same! :lol3:. Silly cats.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a single one of mine likes any kind of ground turkey. But they like turkey breast and turkey thigh if it's not ground. :dk:

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't even sniff it, let alone eat it. l won't be buying the Turkey again.
Tanner, the expressive one, wasn't content to look at it and walk away as the others did. He went up to it, looked at me, lifted both feet off the ground and pivoted so he could fling himself away from it to show me his disgust. He's so dramatic.
That is sooo funny! I hope you don't mind a brief hi-jack but reading this brought back memories of my suspicious and finicky Tolly :angel: I even documented it once:

I have seen Tolly eat this particular food with great enjoyment, but it was not what he wanted this morning

What IS that stuff?

Isn't there something better up there?

I'm NOT eating that.

(Even after fluffing it up)

Yuck. I know I won't like it.

I want what she's having

"Won't you try it Tolly......?"

You have GOT to be kidding me!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, that's great 

They know what they don't like. Tolly's eyebrows were down, the same as Tanner's, lol.

Tolly was a beautiful cat, btw.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, that's great :clap:
They know what they don't like. Tolly's eyebrows were down, the same as Tanner's, lol.

Tolly was a beautiful cat, btw.
Thank you. He was my own special boy. My goodness he was suspicious of food all his life. He would circle his dish, circle and sniff, circle and sniff, before deciding whether to eat or not. Tolly Sweat Pea was his full name. It seems incredible that in two weeks it will be one year since he left me :rbheart:

Queen Eva used to be the same way (he raised her, after all) but since starting her on raw all those finicky behaviors are gone. I work hard at not regretting that I didn't do this years ago, so Tolly could have benefited. I'm doing it now, my girls are benefiting, and that's what matters.

Sorry for the hi-jack. :)

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. He was my own special boy. My goodness he was suspicious of food all his life. He would circle his dish, circle and sniff, circle and sniff, before deciding whether to eat or not. Tolly Sweat Pea was his full name. It seems incredible that in two weeks it will be one year since he left me

Queen Eva used to be the same way (he raised her, after all) but since starting her on raw all those finicky behaviors are gone. I work hard at not regretting that I didn't do this years ago, so Tolly could have benefited. I'm doing it now, my girls are benefiting, and that's what matters.
Sorry for the hi-jack.
l didn't even realize it was called hi-jacking - l do it all the time 
 (note to self: don't do that, lol)

l understand your feelings of guilt about feeding, l feel the same way. But we only knew what we knew. Now we know more - and if we didn't use our current knowledge to better our cats' lives, then we would deserve to feel guilty. You have changed their diet to raw and they're much better for it, there's only good associated with that  

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Batch 5 yesterday.

The boys were glad to see it as we'd run out and they had to suffer through 6 days of canned foods and Carnivora rabbit. The horror!

This batch is mostly poultry - whole quail, and chicken thighs. There were also 2 pork tenderloins and a chunk of beef added. This is a bonemeal batch, in addition to the quail bones.

They love this one, there was no hesitation at all, only apparent relief, lol. Bretten had yakked a couple of times on the canned, and that's rare for him. l'm thinking raw is the way to go, and only keep canned for emergency use. Rhys has never puked, l think he could eat anything offered and do okay, but he loves his raw.

Note to self: Quail bones are VERY sharp, l'm all cut up. Use a knife next time.

l'm using this thread as my raw feeding diary and will log any feeding or health issues here as they arise so l have a pattern. ls there any way for me to stop it from bumping back to the top?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad meowmy! :lol3: Wow, you've got yourself some great little carnivores there! :D

There's no way not to make it bump when you post, but I wouldn't worry about it. :)