Latest upgrades bit problematic

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very old computer, so I can't use javascript, only by certain situations I will enable it, but it will make browsing too slow most of the time or even dangerous because computer can't run these too heavy security software kits that have bloated insane during the years.

Now I have found out that sometimes last week or so I can't upload images anymore, even when enabling javascript, it used to work via yahoo scripts but that might have been changed, can't find which server would be needed to allow to run JS.

Today there seem to be more issues, quite many images seem not to be working and subscriptions page stylesheet appears to be bit broken or kind that cannot be translated properly without JS.

I'm afraid that soon I can't access the site if JS is required for all functions and my machine is not up to it if upgrades move to that direction, I'm curious to know if there are plans to end non JS access to site?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sorry I'm late getting here!

I'm not aware of any changes made to the platform around that time, so I am guessing this has to be the Yahoo thing you mentioned. As far as I know, javascript is not needed to display images here and many people surf with it switched off. Which browser are you using? It's probably a matter of using a browser that's no longer supported. I do understand the problem but I can't think of any solution other than upgrading the software 

The mobile version has fewer features so maybe that will help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I'm late getting here!

I'm not aware of any changes made to the platform around that time, so I am guessing this has to be the Yahoo thing you mentioned. As far as I know, javascript is not needed to display images here and many people surf with it switched off. Which browser are you using? It's probably a matter of using a browser that's no longer supported. I do understand the problem but I can't think of any solution other than upgrading the software :sigh:  I'm sure you're having problems with many sites, and that's because most sites no longer support older browsers due to the intricate nature of websites these days.

Have you tried switching to the mobile version? You can do that by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking on mobile - 

The mobile version has fewer features so maybe that will help?
Most site do work just fine, only few have lately changed to such that would require total compromise of security in order to work, but there is not many of them.

Images have started to work after that few days, I got also error messages about cache server not finding any common protocols or something like that, I guess that was a glitch or something like that.

Generally mobile versions of sites work worse, some servers are set so that they force to use of mobile site if they can't figure out what browser is used and they require some altering on proxy to fake identity in order to work, ease of use becomes sometimes bit more of work, but once set it works then automatically.

My browser is Firefox based Palemoon that is much more secure than Firefox and it is updated often, but some sites use methods to sniff which browser is used and change which kind of code server offers to browser based on that, but of course it can't work because there are so many browsers and coder can't know all, sometimes this automation is turning against itself it seems, some sites then try to force mobile version or wrong language version, but I have means to overcome that :D

Proxy is filtering all incoming traffic and dropping potentially harmful stuff out, because it is lighter way to achieve better security than any security suite would provide.

It seems that what ever has changed in these few days has worked and now toolbar buttons seems to appear if I enable JS, as I have not changed anything I think it must be server side changes that has changed things.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for the additional info! If I understand correctly most of the issues are now resolved? Is there anything specific that you're having issues with at this point? I've asked our tech support team for more information about possible software updates and will let you know if I find anything interesting.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the additional info! If I understand correctly most of the issues are now resolved? Is there anything specific that you're having issues with at this point? I've asked our tech support team for more information about possible software updates and will let you know if I find anything interesting.
At the moment I think everything works as they have been working at least for a last year or so.

I should of taken screenshot of server error messages I got about time I started this thread, 503.1 or something close to that I think was the error code server reported.

Who knows, maybe some hackers were in the pipe making their disruption of services, but now things seem to be working again normally.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We did experience some server issues a few days ago with intermittent connection issues. Sounds like it might have been what you saw. It was not related to any javascripts issues though.

Fingers crossed that everything keeps on going smoothly from now on! 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did experience some server issues a few days ago with intermittent connection issues. Sounds like it might have been what you saw. It was not related to any javascripts issues though.

Fingers crossed that everything keeps on going smoothly from now on! :cross:
Aha, must be that then :D

Javascript issue started earlier, I thought it might of been some update, but after server issues it seems to be working again same way as usual.

Then I could not see connection to Yahoo, so maybe they had their own issues which just happened few days before you had server issues, that would sound very logical at least of what did happen.

Maybe I try to post some pics then as things work again purrfectly :D

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to sound stupid? Wouldn't getting a tablet solve all your problems? I know zero about the subject you have a problem with but using this modern gadgetry became easier with a tablet. No need to install java script, it has a reader already and Foxfire Mozilla take care of safe browsing etc. Dont know if it suits you but I thought I'd suggest.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to sound stupid? Wouldn't getting a tablet solve all your problems? I know zero about the subject you have a problem with but using this modern gadgetry became easier with a tablet. No need to install java script, it has a reader already and Foxfire Mozilla take care of safe browsing etc. Dont know if it suits you but I thought I'd suggest.
Actually Firefox is leaking quite badly and collecting quite bit of data from you, it is very different today what it used to be.

Not much different from Chrome and Chrome is a lot faster, but of course there are more secure alternatives that don't phone home every click you make.

I have thought that all this modern is bit modern to me and when time comes that this machine stops, I guess I won't be needing computers anymore, I wish! :D

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's exactly why I bought my RCA. Long reputation and the only problem I have is the battery doesn't last over an hr so I have to plug it in a lot. Can't get a new one. They made it so you can't. I have it turned off for hrs though so it's not a huge deal. Firefox and Mozilla are used together. I wish I understood how to upload pictures or how to take or post any. Clueless if this can be done on a tablet.