Late With The Deworming. Looking For Advice.

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So our little nugget; Daisy is growing up pretty fast. We got her at 8 weeks old. She went to the vets the following week and we were given deworming medicine in a syringe.

Long story short, we kept meaning to weigh her and give her the medicine, but times have been busy and we kept forgetting. She's nearly 12 weeks now, and the medicine says 1ml for every 10ib the cat weighs. She's about 2.5ib so we figured 1/4ml of medicine which we want to put in her food as we don't want to traumatise her by force feeding. (she's got a pretty bad bite too and wriggles like nothing else so it would be an ordeal). The guide we were given says for cats up to three months, administer twice a week. Once a month from three-six months. We're almost a month late to the game, so should we follow a month late i.e. treat her as though she is not yet three months, give her medicine twice a week until four months and move to once a month after that, or should we just go right from her being 3 months and giving her medicine once a month? If that makes sense? In a nutshell; Should we play catch-up, or just go from how old she is now?

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Thanks

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. The practice in my country is different from yours but I’ll just share. My cats were sent for their 1st vaccination at 8 weeks and it will include a dose of deworming tablet. We will not be given any additional medicine and only had to come back again for the next vaccination a month later then the next. Total is 3 times shots and deworming. After the first 3 months it will be once a year.

If you’re keeping your kittens safely indoors there is less risk of them eating unclean food. Don’t worry about missing the deworming meds as one dose works pretty well.

And I totally understand how hard it is to syringe medication to a cat. Meffy spat it everywhere on the floor when she was small so I stopped using the syringe. 7 years later, even pilling her is a battle