(Late) Question of the Day, Sunday, February 18th

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a borrowed question, but do you consider hotdogs and hamburgers sandwiches?

Me: I had never thought of them that way but when we moved to the area where we live, I thought it was cute when my uncle would say, "Do you want to get a sandwich?" in reference to a burger. I guess if fish sandwiches are sandwiches, then why not?

I feel so terrible following surgery that DH is doing the cooking, cleaning, everything. And part of his cooking is getting dinner at a fast food place. I am not putting him down, I really, really appreciate him.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not personally but I can see why people might. I guess in my mind I think of sliced bread when I say sandwich. If it's on a long roll I'll call it a sub. I do love a good kielbasa and sauerkraut on a long roll from a local Amish market. So so good!! i haven't had one in ages. But I never think of those as sandwiches either. They do have sandwiches on hamburger buns but it's more like hot ham and cheese or hot roast beef. So I guess I think of hot sandwiches with hamburger buns but cold ones on sliced bread most of the time? Rubens an grilled cheese excluded of course.

Funny story.... When DD was 2/3ish one day she was ADAMANT she wanted a BOOGER Sandwich for lunch. I tried so hard to figure out what she wanted but she was getting upset and insisting BOOGER sandwich. I didn't translate the toddler talk till I noticed she was looking at a package of hamburger buns on the counter! :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think hot dogs are sandwiches. A hot dog is a hot dog without the bun and it is a hot dog with the bun, so the bread is irrelevant making the sandwich argument also no longer relevant.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not remotely. As far as I'm concerned a sandwich is two slices of bread with whatever filling, and it's only hot if it's toasted. Hot dogs and hamburgers use bread rolls, and I don't even consider something like a salad roll a sandwich. If it was a salad sandwich it would be between slices of bread, not a bread roll cut in half.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't consider them sandwiches. But I don't think of subs as sandwiches either, but I've heard them called sub sandwiches. I've also heard them called grinders and I don't get that one.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are technically sandwiches...but on the same level as a castle being a house. A house comes in many different shapes and sizes and can be made of various different materials. We have many different categories for types of houses, and even sub-categories for styles of houses. But you would never see a giant stone dwelling and say "look at that house!"....it's a castle...you say castle.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari -- Say what?! A hot dog ain't no taco! Taco is Mexican food!

I only call them sammiches if I chop/slice them up & pile high with sammich toppings, on bread.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean, if you have to classify the thing, I guess.

But I wouldn't call them that. Burgers are more sandwiches than hot dogs are.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A burger is a burger and a hot dog is a hot dog. I guess technically they're sandwiches, but I've never really thought about it.