Last Resort

calicowhirlwind

Torbie Enthusiast
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat, Jane, on August 24th, 2017 at 8 weeks old. She was feisty back then, and that's something that hasn't changed.

I moved away for college, and left her with my grandmother, who is now threatening to get rid of her because of her behavior. Had she been well-behaved, this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm wondering-- what are the best methods you have used to keep cats from

- Jumping onto flat surfaces (i.e. counters)

- Scratching furniture

- Biting / scratching hands (no aggression, just a bit overzealous when playing)

I've already got a poster made for her to send to every no-kill shelter I can contact, but I'd at least like to take the time to try first. I am desperate to keep her, but the home I live in has four cats already, and rejected the idea.

Thank you.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Sticky Paws double-sided tape for furniture.

Aluminum foil on countertops.

As for hands, whenever she bites, ignore her. She will soon learn that biting means no playing/pets/whatever.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully others can add to this but here are some thoughts:

Jumping on counters - You can have those air dispensers that when someone comes into the range it puffs air. Also, having tin foil or that cat tape can help make it unlikable and break the habit. Make sure there isn't food available in the cabinets or on the counter. Not have an open window that the cat wants to get to. It is a tough thing to change but those ideas could help.

Scratching furniture - placing scratching posts by the furniture or using the "sticky paws" cat tape to make it not as attractive.

Biting/scratching hands - Depends on how this is exactly happening. Use a wand toy to make the toy separate from hands (which are not toys). Cats sense our emotions so letting the cat know in a sorrowful way that it is not acceptable. Most cats don't want to hurt us so an "ouch" can let the cat know it hurts. Or a firm but calm and confident "no". Some people "hiss" as a mama cat would to their kitten.

She is 2 years old so some of the energy should start to decrease. But making sure the house has a lot of cat fun things. Like cat trees to go up and down on and also to look outside, scratching posts, a lot of comfy and warm bedding, maybe cat shelving which can look nice AND give a cat a place to run around and up and down and drain energy. And cat tunnels and cat toys that don;t require human interaction (like a ball that cat be clawed and thrown into things). Giving the cat things to do can keep a cat focused on something more positive.

I am sure others will have some suggestions as well. Let's hope that we can keep this kitty in her home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here are some TCS articles that maybe would help you devise a plan to try to stop her from those behaviors. Longer standing habits are usually harder, and take longer, to break, so be aware of that upfront - and, if your grandmother is going to be involved in the process, please let her know that! Also, please tell her consistency is the key! There may be a lot of articles listed below, but they are pretty easy and quick to read.

How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents did this to stop my cats from jumping on counters: get some of the decorative duct tape (the kind for making crafts/wallets and stuff because its not as sticky as real duct tape) place several small strips sticky-side up on the counter, especially along the edges. When the cat jumps on the counter they get small pieces of tape stuck to them (but its not so sticky that it harms them to get it off). Didn't take long for my cats to learn not to jump up there lol.

As for scratching furniture, I don't know how many people live in the household with the cat in question but my Fiance and I have had success using cat claw caps (soft paws/soft claws brand). They are little plastic caps that you slide onto your cat's claws to make them dull so they can't scratch. They come with special glue so they don't come off until the cat sheds the claw naturally. BUT you will likely need 2 people in order to apply them (one to hold the cat and one to clip the cats claws and apply the claw caps).

As for biting/scratching/rough play, it is best to yelp/say OW really loud and then completely ignore the cat for at least like 10 minutes or so afterwards. It lets them know that they won't get the reward of attention/play if they play too rough.