Laryngitis

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, last night I noticed my cat was having some troubles with gagging, and then she started squeaking... And like any doting cat owner can tell you, you notice anything that is off about your cat, you know the ins, outs, how they sound and act. And this was not her meow, she began spitting up a clear thick mucus like liquid, and still had a strained meow. As the vet was closed, since it was about midnight, we waited to take her this morning. Turns out Freya has laryngitis. It breaks my heart to hear her squeaking right now, it's so pitiful, but there isn't much else we can do but give her meds and watch her. Let's hope she recovers quickly yes?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good gracious - did the vet have any suggestions as to how this happened?

Is this something that could be helped with putting her into a bathroom with a steamy shower, a couple times for about 10 minutes each?

In addition, try loving in her a lot and some playtime - to try and keep her from trying to meow til this gets healed up....poor baby!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one cat who is very susceptible to this. Just like in humans, hers is caused by airborne allergies and excessive drainage. Did your vet recommend an antihistamine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good gracious - did the vet have any suggestions as to how this happened?
Well the running theories right now are:
1) I gave her my cold cause I’m sick right now(turns out that’s a thing that can jump species)
2) She got sick while outside
3) She meowed herself hoarse