Large young cat picks on older small cat

triciarich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Caboose is over 20 pounds and Cookie is only 6 pounds.

Another cat in the house is Snoopy and she is around 7 or 8 pounds.

Cookie is almost 13 and the other two are around 2 years old.

When they first came in the house Cookie was the queen and they respected that.

But now they both go after her.  She hisses and screams when they get her and we scold them but they don't leave her alone.

I worry that she is so stressed but I don't want to have to keep everybody locked up in separate rooms.

Snoopy and Caboose play great but Cookie doesn't want anything to do with them.

Any advice?

mylakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are they just trying to play with her? I would try wearing the kittens out through play. I also feed my cat calming treats which seem to help her. She also has several places to hide if the young cat tries to pounce on her, which would also help in cookie's situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

triciarich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

when did it started? also try reintroducing them following this article http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats. are all of them fixed? as it is kitten season again
Are they just trying to play with her? I would try wearing the kittens out through play. I also feed my cat calming treats which seem to help her. She also has several places to hide if the young cat tries to pounce on her, which would also help in cookie's situation.
When Caboose first moved in a year ago with my son, he knew that Cookie was the Queen and he would keep his distance.

Snoopy moved in with my daughter in June.  She was very fearful of Caboose and Cookie but she came around pretty quick.  Her and Caboose play alot and when she's had enough she just hisses at him and he usually leaves her alone.

Cookie hisses and spits and smacks him (he's 3 times her size) but he still goes after her.

Sometimes I'll lock her in my room with everything she needs so she gets a break but I don't want to do that all the time.

I think he just wants to play.  

He kind of stalks her like he does Snoopy and runs and pounces, but if he bits in play, he could hurt her.  Not to mention his size.

They are all fixed.

The two younger ones play alot together.  Snoopy wants to play with Cookie but usually obeys Cookies hisses.

I live in a 3 bedroom with a basement so there are lots of places for Cookie to go but she is very social and likes to be with downstairs when anybody is awake.

Mylakitty - what kind of calming treats do you get?

mylakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I get GNC calming treats, just at petco. I hear there is something you can put in their wet food too if he is really nervous.

Oliver does the same thing... He stalks Myla even when she repeatedly hisses at him. I was worried for the first few days, but she just runs somewhere Oliver can't go until he loses interest. She doesn't really even get that mad about it anymore. She only hides a couple minutes. I'm thinking Oliver will cut it out when he gets out of his teenage phase. Hopefully yours will settle down too!