Large Fluffy Cat With Anus Problems

BabsBaxi2512

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat who is rather large and fluffy has been having problems with loose stools, with him being long-haired it was all down the back of his legs, whilst cleaning him I noticed a lump the size of a 10p near his anus, it doesn't seem to be bothering him but I would like to know what it is, the loose stools have now cleared up but the lump is still there. Any information would be appreciated, I have booked him in at the vets for this Thursday but that will mean he has to go under anesthetic which I am loath to do because I have already lost one cat at the vets through anesthetic !!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if it could be an anal gland? That's about the only thing I can think of. It could be irritated from all the loose stools. I would ask for a pic, but not sure that would be easy to accomplish or something we actually need to see. :lol: Let us know what you find out at the vet. While there you might ask about a sani shave if he has the loose stools in the future, just to keep his backside clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BabsBaxi2512

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if it could be an anal gland? That's about the only thing I can think of. It could be irritated from all the loose stools. I would ask for a pic, but not sure that would be easy to accomplish or something we actually need to see. :lol: Let us know what you find out at the vet. While there you might ask about a sani shave if he has the loose stools in the future, just to keep his backside clean.
Thanks for your help, it does sound like an anal gland and I will ask about the sani shave but the problem with that is he'll have to keep having it done and the vet can't get near him unless he's anesthetised, he's a very big strong cat and he doesn't like anybody messing with his back end, he'll even sit down so you can't get to him and he's like velcro, strong and stubborn, what have I let myself in for, can't believe this cat was a stray !!

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm stumped then. I'll look forward to hearing what the vet says Thursday and hope it's nothing serious.