Lanny And Lc Introduction

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there; I rescued a female 18 months ago. 4 weeks ago I rescued a second male cat. They are both 3 years old. I followed all instructions for introduction, separate room, scent, etc.
I even prayed over these little floofers so they'd relax and plugged in one of those Feliway thingys. After one week Lanny and LC (Little Cat) were ready to share the whole house.

4 weeks in, these cats share and live in the entire townhome together. They play fight, groom one another, rub their bodies against one another, sit and sleep next to one another, chase each other once in a while, it's really amazing how quickly they bonded. I feel lucky because I'm not a super knowledgeable person about cats.

Lanny is an ultra laid back male. He was a therapy cat for a senior before she went into nursing home. LC is a bit more of a feisty gal. She lived on the street where she had a litter just before she was brought into the shelter. Lanny often licks her head and neck to calm her insecurity down. While he wouldn't dream of sneaking up on LC, she does it to him and nips his back. I'm quite proud of her for sharing her entire territory, toys, scratch posts, trees, even food dishes and litter boxes (even though I have 3). I can tell it's a huge deal for her. She seems jealous of any attention I give to Lanny so I'm going slow. A little cuddle or scratch, or a short play session, here and there.

I read it can take 8 months to one year for two cats to bond fully. And I'm keeping an eye on LC's need to rough house with Lanny. When he approaches her to give affection, the safe space she inhabits is to turn it into play fighting. I sometimes will gently shoo her away. And Lanny gets it. He is masterful in managing her fears. Really something for me to see the intuition in this cat. There's been no hissing which is fantastic. Truly the hardest thing for me right now is my desire to pick Lanny up and squish him and cuddle him for hours. He will only tolerate me in small doses and I have to respect that LOL

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congratulations, and talk about beginner's luck! Sounds like you did exactly what these two particular cats needed! Every introduction is different, you know. You did your just right for your cats.

Welcome to TCS, by the way! Don't forget to post pictures of your babies!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think their relationship is going to direct itself and there probably isn’t much more that you can do to change it. She may always be the one that initiates play but if it bothers him too much he will let her know. Through these little spats they learn each other’s boundaries and over time build an even better relationship. They sure seem like they are well on their way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My resident cat, Little Cat, is tolerating things much better. She used to get aggressive with Lanny if I played with him. This morning after playing with her for a while with this feather toy, I turned my attention to Lanny and played with him.

Little Cat jumped an extra special aerial acrobatic jump, sailing right over Lanny while I played with him. It was so adorable. Sort of like, don't mind me, passing through, just to let you know I'm pretty special. It melted my heart. It's wonderful to see progress.

Another nice thing, I woke up at some point last night, to see both cats sleeping on the bed. Because LC has not been allowing Lanny on the bed. Now she's cool.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is terrific! And I love the fact that she is sharing bed-space now. That's a really big deal in a cat's world. Your bed smells more like you than anything else in your home, and to allow Lanny to share the bed, whether or not you are actually in it, is an enormous stride in the right direction!

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Rubysmama and IronHippo!

And shout out to Mani for the mods for moving my progress post to the right location - appreciate that very much :)
I'll make sure to post any updates about this cat introduction in this thread.

Have a great day everyone.

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay this is end of day, I’m exhausted and feeling sorry for myself post. Cat introduction is going well but I feel sad Lanny won’t let me cuddle him yet. Most I can do is a bit of strokes along his back or a scratch behind the ears.

Maybe it’s that I’m stepping down after being on my condo board for 3 years, or maybe it’s the chaos at my job with constant turnover... or maybe I’m just tired. My tenant had to get up extra early today and even though he’s quiet, I wake when he leaves. This tired gal sure wanted a hug from Lanny tonight. No such luck.

I remember feeling sad for hugs when I got Little Cat 18 months ago. And she came around. So I just have to be patient. lol my god I’m a needy mess tonight. Well I’m off to my last condo meeting tonight. xo

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hee hee what a sad sack I was when I posted my cry baby story about not getting enuf cuddles. Things have improved ... slowly. Although Lanny hasn't climbed onto my lap, he allows me to scratch behind his ears and pet him for longer periods of time.

Watching Lanny interact with Little Cat remains ever so entertaining. Once in a while I close my bedroom door if the cats keep me awake. This morning I open my door and see both of them sitting just outside, side by side, patiently waiting for me. Little Cat is Lanny's shadow. She loves watching him and imitating him. Very sweet. And play time has improved. After playing with LC, I can now play with Lanny while LC just sits relaxed and patient (not creepy). All progress.

Lanny loves his food so sometimes I hide LC's bowl because he'll eat for both of them. Then when he's upstairs, I'll take her bowl out for her to eat.

Lanny also sleeps on my bed with LC now. Which I love.

And my favorite time with Lanny is when I hold him to look out our front door window. He purrs and his tail flops around. He's so marvelous.