Lamont Forever

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to put my beloved cat Lamont to sleep yesterday. Yes, I am a train wreck.  He was my baby, my best friend and the love of my life all rolled in one. My mom gave him to me 14 years ago; she passed away 8 years later. He was the last living connection to her which makes it even tougher. 

Versus talking in detail about his horrible horrible last day on earth--I am VERY lucky, he wasn't in terrible pain for more than a couple of hours before the vet determined it was the best decision to put him down (he had been suffering for 14 months with inoperable bone cancer and was in diabetic remission)--I want to talk a little about the kind of cat he was.

He was a tough guy.  From the Bronx, he originally belonged to the son of the super in a building down the block from where my mom lived. He came to live with me when he was a year old and the super's son couldn't keep him any more.  If Lamont didn't like you, he not only remembered it but tried to kick you out of the apartment! Which was pretty amusing to me (though, admittedly, not to a lot of my guests--particularly those on Lamont's "D list". )  But he was incredibly loving to me.  I never knew his exact date of birth, but knew it was sometime in late December so I always said he was born on Christmas Day because he was the greatest present anyone could get. 

Every morning and every night he would jump into bed with me and snuggle.  Even though he wasn't a lap cat, he would lay his body on top of mine and sleep and cuddle.  It was the greatest.  I talked to him and he "groused" or "talked" back.  I would say, "Well, what do *you* think, Lamont?" and he would "talk" back. It was hilarious. Because he was a Maine Coon, hard to see in his last months after he lost a lot of hair, he would follow me everywhere and was incredibly curious.  A real smarty pie. We were a real team. 

He was just brimming with an outsized personality and it was wonderful.  

Last night, the A Team (i.e., my two best friends) came over, brought dinner and alcohol and we told Lamont stories til after midnight and laughed and cried (ok, I cried; they were supportive.)  I know I'll be grieving for a while. I'm taking the rest of the week off from work as I navigate life on earth without him. 

This community has been great in Lamont's last months.  I haven't posted a huge amount, but did a lot yesterday, particularly as he was dying and it incredibly helpful to me. To know people were there, every step of the way.  This is something I'll always be grateful for. In particular, thank you thank you thank you @2Cats4everLoved   and @MaggieMay  .  Your support during everything meant the world to me.  

Here's a photo of Lamont taken last July when he was in better shape (14 1/2, his tumor was only the size of a garbanzo bean then and he hadn't been diagnosed with diabetes yet.)

Goodbye my sweet precious boy.  I will never ever forget you.  12/25/2000 - 5/10/2016

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a BEAUTIFUL boy!  And what a beautiful tribute to him.  I love knowing how he came into your life and what he was like.  Outsized personality is putting it mildly!  I laughed out loud at some of the things he would do.  Heartfelt prayers for you as you begin to "navigate life on earth without him."  That's the perfect way to put it.  Hugs ~ J

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I love his beautiful coat. RIP Lamont.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lamont was a beautiful cat ..

His story of how he came to live with you

was so touching...

He had a good home and lots of love with you.

SheriT, Lily and Bro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lamont was so beautiful, he exudes attitude in that picture.  I am sorry for your loss and the pain you are in. RIP Lamont

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry Lamont's last day was so rough on both of you.  You know your Mom caught his furry soul as it flew out of his body towards her, and they will both be watching over you from the other side.  Someday you'll all be together again and there will be no more pain and no more tears. 

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. he was so much more than a friend, he was a family member. Remember he would want you to think of him with happiness for the time you had, not dwell on the end.The bond you formed will be with you always, it can never be taken from you, I pray your precious memories will comfort you in your time of grief.  He will be blessed for being there for you and bringing such happiness into your life, and you for knowing him and taking such good care of him in his times of illness. You were there for him and loved him unconditionally, that is all he ever wanted. He can rest in peace now, on the lap of your mother, their star will shine bright in the heavens. Thank you for letting us know of this special boy, he will now be mourned by many as he so deserves. I'll pray for you both, please take care.......... RIP sweet Lamont. you will never be forgotten and will be forever held in a loving heart!

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for that.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@nerdgirl5  I am so, so sorry.  When we all started conversing Tuesday morning it never crossed my mind it would end as it did.  My heart breaks for you, truly.  I'm really at a loss for words at the moment.  I had high hopes and this hit me hard knowing that in a New York Moment, life can turn on a dime.  I took yesterday to reflect and enjoy the day with my boy wondering, when... and will I be ready.

I don't think we're ever ready, even seeing the end in sight.  It's easy to say things will be fine, but I too have lost parents and honestly, time doesn't heal...  for me anyway.  I think you just miss those we love more, and it does get easier to live life, but that void never leaves us.  Simon and Chestnut are my last link to my dad so I totally understand your feelings.  I'd also like to say at this time, thank you for your kind words and support for me and Simon, it really means a lot, you have no idea..

Being that I am at a loss for words, I will use words I've said to @fishandbones  in another post regarding the loss of sweet boy Clyde:

It's not easy to lose a pet that has been a reliable companion and true loyal friend.  And when they are so loyal, lovable, and reliable, they aren't pets, they are a part of our family, an extension of ourselves.

Please be strong and take care of yourself.  With the warmest regards, Simon, Chestnut & me...

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this.  And for all your compassion and support.

One thing that brought me a little relief this morning:  On Tuesday, one of the things I noticed, but never mentioned (here, to my friends or the vet--mostly because it was such an emergency situation) was that Lamont's body temperature seemed cool vs warm. I noticed it at home while he was prone on the floor and also at the vet's.  I looked it up today and apparently, it's one of the signs your cat is near death. 

While this bit of info will never bring my baby back, and I *knew* I had done the right thing by putting him sleep (especially given the vet said, "It's time" and seeing what extreme pain he was in), this confirmed it for me. Lamont was dying. I just eased his suffering and didn't take him from the world too soon. I know it's kind of magical thinking to have thought, "Maybe maybe maybe if I hadn't put him to sleep he would've gotten past this and improved." It was not to be. It was part of the cycle of life.

It made me feel like I helped him when he was in need at the last moment's of his life. There simply was nothing else I could do. 

Much love to you, Simon & Chestnut.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lamont loved you, of course he "knew".

While I'm sure he didn't want to leave you, his fragile body just couldn't hang on any longer.  

Lamont did know you were helping him, and he knew that because he's loved and trusted you for 15 1/2 years.

You were his Guardian Angel and now Lamont is yours. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I'm so sorry you lost your best friend. He is a handsome boy and I love his expressive eyes. I loved the story of how he cuddles with you at night and all the little things he does.

May he run free at the Bridge and in time heal your broken heart. 

I am so sorry again for your loss

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.  That he was! 

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, Lamont was adorable.  I love his facial expressions.  I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet and handsome boy.