Lame Cat And Litter Box Issues

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My latest rescue Jed is lame. I caught him a month-and-a-half ago, but it took me nearly two years to catch him, although he became friendly with me, but would not go in a crate. Nearly a year prior to catching him, he injured his foot. He was hobbling and could not put weight on it. This was something I could not call the vet for, explain, and ask for medication, which she kindly provided on two occasions due to wounds and infections that he had. When I did catch him, I got him vetted and neutered. The vet gave him an anti-inflammatory shot, along with an antibiotic shot which helped for a week. Jed is FIV +.

My only problem with him is that he cannot stay in the house all the time unless he uses a iltter box. He has to go outside at night when I can't watch him. He has urinated on the floor, on two mats, and on typing paper. He did not urinate on the pee-pads I got. He has watched the other cats use the litter boxes and has sniffed them, so he knows what they are. I have put him in his own litter box with leaves and grass thinking that might help. He has used it once. The vet gave me a sack of shredded paper. That did not work. It has finally occurred to me that perhaps it is difficult for him to get in and out of the box and that the litter/shredded paper makes it difficult for him to maintain his balance.

Does anyone have experience with lame cats and their special needs? Or has anyone encountered this issue with their cat? This is his front left foot and he holds his leg up most of the time. He stands on his back legs to groom or when he is confronted by one of my other cats. He can do other things with his foot like play with toys and he can crouch while he eats, and i can run my hand down his leg which doesn't seem to bother him. It's putting direct weight on it and balance. He can jump up but he cannot jump down without stumbling.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Could you use some sort of very large tray or the bottom of a broiler pan insert for an oven as a litter tray? He might accept something low. How about potting soil for litter (that works very well for ferals)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could you use some sort of very large tray or the bottom of a broiler pan insert for an oven as a litter tray? He might accept something low. How about potting soil for litter (that works very well for ferals)?
Thanks, I've been considering the use of dirt, but it's been raining so much here that it's mud so I was using leaves. I hadn't thought about a large tray and potting soil. The idea of that potting soil getting on my cream-colored rugs isn't appealing but it may be what I have to do until he gets more comfortable. I don't want him urinating on my hardwood floors! That takes the finish off! He won't go in the laundry room where the other boxes are so I will have a tray in my den.

I hadn't planned on keeping him inside all the time. I have three already, but Jed's lameness and FIV has changed the game. I already have one cat with FIV so I'm not worried about that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sand might work, too, and make less of a mess on the carpet, but he might not take to it if you've tried fine-grained litter.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid sand will be the same as the litter. He doesn't like the feel of it. I bought potting mix and then discovered what I bought wasn't safe for animals (or children) due to additives. I dug some old potting soil out of unused planters and am trying that. I bought some inexpensive aluminum grill pans. They are flat enough and low enough but still have some sides. I've got a towel spread out to catch the "foot traffic" and dirt.

I'd like to get his leg fixed but the cost is prohibitive. He's the cat in my profile photo. How could I turn away that beautiful guy!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, but could you put a few leaves that have fallen to the ground in his litterbox? When Rocky was outside he would potty in pine needles that I used as mulch in my flowerbeds. When we transitioned him to an indoor kitty I placed pine needles on top of his litter for a few days to help him adjust.
Also, as an FYI, Rocky has adjusted very well as indoors only EXCEPT he won't use any litterbox but his own. He refuses to use the other cats' boxes even though he gets along with the other cats well. So we have to keep his litterbox private. It's his and his alone!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, but could you put a few leaves that have fallen to the ground in his litterbox? When Rocky was outside he would potty in pine needles that I used as mulch in my flowerbeds. When we transitioned him to an indoor kitty I placed pine needles on top of his litter for a few days to help him adjust.
Also, as an FYI, Rocky has adjusted very well as indoors only EXCEPT he won't use any litterbox but his own. He refuses to use the other cats' boxes even though he gets along with the other cats well. So we have to keep his litterbox private. It's his and his alone!
Thanks. I have leaves in one box mixed with litter. I saw him use it once...several days ago. I will add them to the dirt and see. He got in the dirt litter box. I thought he was tinkling. He started grooming himself! I could not see any dampness in the dirt! He got in it because he had wanted out and then heard another cat in the litter box behind the laundry room door. He knows what its for, but...

I don't know if I can keep it private. I have a very open concept house with sliding doors except for the bedrooms and laundry room. The cats can open the sliding doors. I don't think my others will want to use a dirt litter box though.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nope! Still won't go to the litter box. He's done it once or twice, and he's seen and heard the other three using them, so he knows what they are for. He won't get in the flat boxes either. I let him outside between 4-5 PM and he stays out until I let him between 6-7 AM. He's been a challenge with this. Being lame, he doesn't need to be outside. Orville, my other rescue cat from the neighborhood, took a while too, but not like this. Orville hadn't been coming in the house prior to being caught, neutered/vetted like Jed. It took Orville about 6 weeks before he decided to stay inside and use the litter box. My first rescue Henryetta adapted quickly. She was pregnant, and she seemed to know what the litter box was for.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jed went to the real litter box last night.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I was delighted. There was no option of his going outside last night due to tornadoes. He did his #2 last night and this morning. I'm not sure where he #1 went. I have so many boxes out. I guess this means I can toss the dirt and leaf boxes!