Lamb or Duck?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fancy is still on the LID rabbit and I'm at the point where "It's slightly better but still not right". In other words, the poo is still soft and stinky, but the stinky has changed (it used to be almost a rotten egg/rotten saurkraut smell, now it's more "sewer backup").

I'm also getting a bit tired of having to make her a concoction of pate, kibble, and sometimes topper because she's refusing to eat just the pate (and for some reason there is no rabbit non pate limited ingredient - the closest has pork).

I don't feel like the rabbit is the right thing for her. Koha has duck shreds and lamb shreds in LID formulas. I can get duck and lamb kibbles from other brands.

If you were to choose, which would you go with? I'm trying to not have to go with prescription food for her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try the Rawz rabbit? Instinct rabbit LID is NOT LID. I don't understand how they can call that limited ingredient when it contains peas and pea protein. That means you never really tried rabbit because you can't say whether it's the rabbit or the peas that aren't agreeing with her.

Try the Rawz rabbit. You can buy single cans from Incredible Pets.
RAWZ 96% Rabbit Cat Can

Lamb is red meat and not all cats go for red meat. Give Rawz rabbit another chance. Also try their duck and turkey. Sometimes a cat who can't have chicken can still have turkey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you try the Rawz rabbit? Instinct rabbit LID is NOT LID. I don't understand how they can call that limited ingredient when it contains peas and pea protein. That means you never really tried rabbit because you can't say whether it's the rabbit or the peas that aren't agreeing with her.
After tons of research I also find it frustrating how many have fish oil or salmon oil. My other cat Delilah is super sensitive.

Unfortunately she's become "anti pate" like her sister. 4 months with me and she's become a spoiled princess. When I adopted her she would eat pate but that stopped by month 2. The only way I'm able to get her to eat it is by making it almost a soup AND adding kibble and even then it's hit or miss.

I do need to have a kibble. It's the 2am snack for both cats.

Try the Rawz rabbit. You can buy single cans from Incredible Pets.
RAWZ 96% Rabbit Cat Can
There is a place near me called Cat Connection that sells it.

Lamb is red meat and not all cats go for red meat. Give Rawz rabbit another chance. Also try their duck and turkey. Sometimes a cat who can't have chicken can still have turkey.
That's one reason I was hesitating on lamb. Delilah won't eat it and the kibble needs to be the same for both. Fancy only eats kibble if she's REALLY hungry, but she'll eat it in pate soup :headshake:

Fancy's main diet previously was chicken, turkey, and beef, which is why no turkey for now (or pork because it's frequently in meat byproducts according to my vet).

Hopefully once I get Fancy's tummy under control I can get Delilah on a better food (other than pro plan or fancy feast). I can only work one cat at a time on this. I know what Delilah's poo smells like so it helps me know which girl is stinking up the place. :flail:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've ordered from Cat Connection before. I prefer Incredible Pets because they are closer. But I now have four stores that sell Rawz locally and a few more if I'm willing to drive up to an hour. During the early pandemic, I would drive an hour each way to pick up cases of the rabbit when I couldn't find it anywhere else.

You could also try probiotics in the short-term while you are looking for a food they will both like.

I like this stuff from Vitality Science.
Pet Flora | Cat Probiotics - Vitality Science

You can also get samples for cheaper through their Finicky Cat Trial Pack.
Finicky Cat Trial Pack - Vitality Science

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll look at those.

Are you in Dallas? Otherwise there must be a cat connection in every city. There is a location 15 min from my apartment.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll look at those.

Are you in Dallas? Otherwise there must be a cat connection in every city. There is a location 15 min from my apartment.
I’m in the SF Bay Area in California. I have ordered from Cat Connection in Dallas because they are one of the few authorized online resellers of Rawz. If there were that many Cat Connections, Rawz wouldn’t let them sell their food. Independents only! At least for the 96% meat pates. The shredded texture is available just about anywhere. But the shredded texture doesn’t have the novel proteins. Incredible Pets in Sacramento is my preferred online reseller because they are practically local. I wouldn’t drive that 2.5 hours one way for cat food. But when they have the Rawz flavor I can’t find locally, their shipping speed cannot be beat. Also Incredible Pets sells by the can which is helpful when trying a different flavor. But I also have at least four independents who sell Rawz locally within a 20 minute drive.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I first adopted Delilah and was somewhat paranoid about her claws I took her to Cat Connection for nail caps. They are the only dedicated cat store around here.

With texture being such an issue I'm probably going to go with Koha's LID duck if I do. They have a shred.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first adopted Delilah and was somewhat paranoid about her claws I took her to Cat Connection for nail caps. They are the only dedicated cat store around here.

With texture being such an issue I'm probably going to go with Koha's LID duck if I do. They have a shred.
Try the Rawz rabbit. It’s a softer pate so you don’t have to soup it up further. And it’s stinky (on the plate 🙊 but in the litter box 👍) Stinky is often quite popular with cats.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try the Rawz rabbit. It’s a softer pate so you don’t have to soup it up further. And it’s stinky (on the plate 🙊 but in the litter box 👍) Stinky is often quite popular with cats.
I tried it first because I couldn't find the instinct. She wouldn't touch it without making it a soup with the kibble. Tried the Koha pate, same thing. She's just not wanting to eat a pate.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you feed both duck and lamb for variety or does it have to be one or the other? What if you bought one each to start to see which one your cat likes better?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you feed both duck and lamb for variety or does it have to be one or the other? What if you bought one each to start to see which one your cat likes better?
Because it's an allergy food trial it needs to be just one protein.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one food she has never thrown up. I switched to a different protein and threw up so back to the food she can eat,tried a different protein threw up and so on. I will do it again because I forgot about slowly changing proteins. It can take a week.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A little update...

I decided to go with the duck, mostly because I remembered Delilah won't eat the lamb, and I need both girls on the same kibble in the drop feeder.

I chose the Koha LID shredded duck and Pure Vita duck and lentil kibble. I was a bit torn between that and either Petcurean Duck or Fussie Cat duck and quail. The Petcurean has chicken egg, Fussie Cat has quail, and Pure Vita has salmon oil. Since we are allergy testing Fancy I didn't feel right with the chicken egg or quail. But I'm going to have pray that the salmon oil doesn't bother Delilah. Kibble isn't the bulk of their diet just snacks with timed drops.

I decided to transition the kibble first... mostly because I was almost out of rabbit kibble and didn't want to buy another bag just to transition her food.

What's funny is I caught her at the timed feeder using her paw to pull out the duck kibble to eat and leaving the other stuff behind.

Tonight I started putting a spoonful of the koha on her plate with the other food. She ate it first then picked at the rest.

I hope this does the trick. When she poos the smell is awful and carries in my 1 bedroom apartment.