Lactating Mom Cat Extreme Lethargy, Diarrhea, Tired Face

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so basically, mom cat stoped eating and developed intense and probably painful diarrhea.
she looks like she is going to die!
I haven't seen her 2 days, but now she came to drink. she drank very slowly about 5 minutes.
she looks like she barely walks. Her eyes are watery. her face very tired.
she has 2 small kittens that that are vocal now and didn't eat for about 2 days. they already can eat on their own, but now refuse and I suspect they are starting to be tired as well.
please note that this cat lives outside in a garden and don't go indoor.
I have no means to go to Vet.
I feed them mostly raw chicken meat that is usually fresh, and also commercial food for a change sometimes, but they prefer raw meat.
she is about 1.5 years old.
not sure what else should I add, besides that I suspect she might be POISONED???
she doesn't seem like it's from food. I heard for cats it's not easy to get salmonella since their stomach acids are built to kill bacteria?
again, mom cat looks like she is going to die. she barely walks and looks like she doesnt even sense or hear me.....very sad sight. again, i cant go to Vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try switching her to a canned kitten food for awhile. Plain raw chicken doesn't have all of the nutrients she needs when lactating. You can add a little canned pumpkin to this to help with the diarrhea. If she is coming to eat, she hasn't given up yet. This might give her a chance.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is anyway you can bring the family inside through this emergency that would help them greatly. Being outside they are extremely vunerable to predators in their condition. They really do need a complete diet like a canned wet food because the chicken alone does not have all the nutrition they need. The biggest thing is a lot of liquid right now so watered down wet food into a slurry, wet food mixed with goat's milk or wet food mixed with KMR would be ideal. Something that get calories and liquid basically. If you can syringe feed the kittens to force food into them, just be careful that they don't get any in their lungs by going slow. Mom too if she will let you and she isn't eating on her own.

If you can get them inside separate the babies. If Mom was posioned them continuing to nurse will just keep passing the posion into their system. It has happened that an outside cat eatsa rat that was killed by posion, the posion then kills the cat and her kittens. One of the many reasons I am firmly against rat posion.

You may be able to find help at a local rescue. Try calling rescues or shelters in your area, it would need to be a no kill, and see if they can take in at least the kittens if not the whole family. It sounds like the kittens are slightly better off so they may have a better chance of survival if they get supoort. You can also try vets as some vets will take in and adopt out emergency cases.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get them indoors of you can. Easier to take care. Including forcefeeding will be practically possible.
Being that sick they will accept any help. Even if they normally are outdoors cats.

For the moment the home remedy to give is give salts and "glucose sugar".
Begin with having some kitchen mineral salt and some honey or white caro syrup in her water!

So you barely feel the tastes.

Salts becauses diarrhea causes big losses of salts. And glucose sugar to perk her up some.

Begin asap!!!

Ps you can begin with common kitchen salt if its what you have. But get home the better minerale kitchen salt for further use.

S sickmomcat

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bough flavorless Pedialyte is good.

A useful homemade trick with diarrheas is:
Some white rice. Lotsa water. You boil up twice+ as long you would boil usually.
Take now the water and have some mineral kitchen salt into it.

Give when cool enough.

Mineral water may be a good salt source. You see om the label it contains different salts.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Much of the symptoms you describe may be caused by extreme dehydration and lack of salts.

So please get the fluids done and give. Forcefeed if practically possible.
This way she may have a chance.

A vet would inject equivalent fluids. Very effective help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
so basically, mom cat stoped eating and developed intense and probably painful diarrhea.
she looks like she is going to die!
I haven't seen her 2 days, but now she came to drink. she drank very slowly about 5 minutes.
she looks like she barely walks. Her eyes are watery. her face very tired.
she has 2 small kittens that that are vocal now and didn't eat for about 2 days. they already can eat on their own, but now refuse and I suspect they are starting to be tired as well.
please note that this cat lives outside in a garden and don't go indoor.
I have no means to go to Vet.
I feed them mostly raw chicken meat that is usually fresh, and also commercial food for a change sometimes, but they prefer raw meat.
she is about 1.5 years old.
not sure what else should I add, besides that I suspect she might be POISONED???
she doesn't seem like it's from food. I heard for cats it's not easy to get salmonella since their stomach acids are built to kill bacteria?
again, mom cat looks like she is going to die. she barely walks and looks like she doesnt even sense or hear me.....very sad sight. again, i cant go to Vet.
Please report! I suspect momma is no longer. Did you manage to save hers children?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes correct, mom is no longer the two little fluffy kittens are all dirty and noisy calling their mom. even hens were picking their mouth omg as they are ramming around them. both kittens have same symptoms. third eye, lethargy, complete muscle waste (they were twice the fat just few days ago. I gave them some goat milk but they are looking at it and making noise, like they would want, but I guess their painfull stomach or discomfort doesnt allow them.

I visited vet with little two. she said they have fever, and suspiciton on PERITONITIS or PANLEUKOPENIA, but there is no point in diagnosing it, since both are incurable. and there is 50/50 chance they will survive. she gave them antibiotic, and analgetic to reduce fever.....they were vocal throughout the night. their mom was very protective and very attentive and she was a mix with main coon, long haired...i wanna cry when i think how they ended. they were beautiful and healthy just few days ago...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
so the kittens are still alive, although barely?
Good you were at the vets, and got some help.
goats milk is good. its raw goats milk? Proceed with it.

Forcefeed if necessary. I suspect forcefeeding is necessary.

Be sure they are warm and comfortable. ie an active warming up source. All sick have low body temp and are freezing, no?
If its really hot at your place they will need some chilling off instead.

These receipts on homemade pedialyte are useful for the kittens too. (and humans :) )
If you can get raw honey ie unpasteurized honey made by a local small producer, use this as your honey source.
Raw honey has some antiinflammatory properties.

You can add a little honey into this goats milk. Gives some extra calories and helps to perk them up.

Honey can also be used outside on skin scratches and such.

Pray, and fight on. Chances arent very good but better than nil as long as you fight.

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i cannot bring them inside. my mother is already threatening and cursing at them, she doesnt want any cats. she is the most insensitive person ever. i am the only one caring about them, and i had to go to vet incognito. they think I am fool helping them. yes, that's my family. they are actually angry that they can get a disease. outside is very warm already. one kitten ate a little chicken, but other has still fever. I regret I didn't forcefeed their mother omg! she was the most loving, sensitive cat i have ever had....she was such a lovely lady. very shy, but loving....she didnt deserve to die in such a horrid way. nature is cruel. but i still have several versions how they got it...basically, i live in underdeveloped country, so people like me are considered fools, because nobody cares about cats here...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My home remedies arent no coincidence. I do believe in good home care as the decidive factor in most situations. Even if hopefully there is help from a good vet.

Look. Florence Nightinghale and coworkers took down the death rate in the military hospital from what?? 60%? Down to 5%.

Good these severely wounded soldiers got surgeon help but what really saved most of them was a good nurse /home care...

but if you cant take them in, you must do with what you have. S sickmomcat

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, I am still caring about kittens, but the thing is that when they were few weeks old up until their mom died, both were about equal fluffy kittens well fed and beautiful healthy fur, but now one kitten is not gaining weight, is sleeping and just not active, where the other one is considerably bigger and have some meat under the fur, where the other one has nothing but skin and bones when I touch it. I dont know what it is, but it seems that the one that is bigger caught the disease (it was probably planleukopenia based on symptoms), the one that is smaller caught the symptoms a bit later, and the story is this: i took them to vet, where the bigger one was more sick and this fragile just started to develop symptoms, so Vet gave them antibiotics, analgetics to reduce the fever and also some vitamins in injection form and she said, I should come the next day too, so I came, but when I came, the one that is now bigger and that started to be sick sooner, didn't have fever anymore, but the one fragile and that started to be sick later still had fever, so they received the same treatment again just couple of injections.....so they were sick, but got better, but the fragile one was not a good eater and just didn't grow at all since then which is close to two weeks now. So basically to summarize it: they were both the same size when their mother was alive, but then the one that is now bigger and has meaty body and is active and eating well started to be sick sooner, and the one that is now fragile, inactive and has no meat on her even though is eating caught the ilness later, and still had a fever on the second visit to the vet, where the one bigger didnt have fever. They now eat well, but the one weaker is just not gaining any muscle,,,,and my analogy from it is that maybe she should have had one more vet visit maybe, because even tho it was a virus, maybe she caught some microbial infection that she didn't get rid, because of the timing to the vet, while the other one seems now much stronger, muscular on touch? I am not sure how to explain it, but I just think that the reason the fragile one caught ilness later, the 2 visits maybe wasn't enough, where the other one stronger due to the fact that caught the symptoms sooner, maybe timing of the shots helped her to get rid of fever and ilness better??? or I dont know...because I reiterate again, before the visit, BOTH KITTENS WERE THE SAME SIZE.....

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BASICALLY MY QUESTION IS THAT before the ilness and 2 visits to vet both kittens were the same size, but now one even tho eating is not gaining any flesh and I feel every bone on her body......what could be the reason? she might have some microbial infection in the belly that is eating all the nutrients from the food?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is fully possible. Bacterial infections after a virus infection is common with humans so surely with cats.
Had they been devormed properly? Worms may give such results too.

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, well, now I touched the fragile kitten and she has some hard lumps in her stomach where the healthy bigger one had nice and soft....could this mean something? also the fragile kitten when she lies sometimes, she puts her paws under herself, and i heard that it is also a sign of ilness and weakness....so basically, she might even have that perionitis? and the other one might develop it later? i heard it has different outcomes in different cats.....but yes, i could feel some hard lumps in the belly on touch just now....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does she has good poo?

Such could be hardened poo...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont know much about such, Im no vet. But I imagine, a peritonite would go over the whole belly. Hardeness here or there is sooner, these organs are swollen - and feels hard. Both are vet errands, really, if you want the kitten to try and survive.
So, unless it is hardened up poo - and treated as constipation, its really a vet errand.

IF its constipation begin with making sure she is well hydrated (use some type of pedialyte, to give some energhy simultaneously) and also 2 drops of coldpressed olive or canola oil with each feeding.