Lactase For Kittens?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read an article about a kitten who died because someone fed them cows milk, which contains lactose. So my question is: lactose intolerant humans can take lactase enzyme drops to help digest the lactose in their systems. Would this have the same effect on a kitten?

For example, someone brings a kitten in. They didn’t know what to do and fed them cows milk. Would lactase drops help them?

maggielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That sounds like an excellent question to ask an interested veterinarian. Like you, I'd like to know for sure. Please let us know if you learn something definite.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely not. The best thing for them is kmr (kitten milk replacer avoid hartz) or raw goats milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most likely not. The best thing for them is kmr (kitten milk replacer avoid hartz) or raw goats milk.
I know that. What I’m asking is if someone accidentally gave a kitten cow’s milk (it happens quite often with inexperienced people that bring orphan kittens to the shelter) could lactase be a “treatment” for the kittens to help with digestion? Because the reason cats can’t drink cows milk is because they don’t produce enough of the lactase enyme.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting idea! Lets hope someone knows for sure.
Yes, it happens kittens gets cow milk - either because there is nothing else, or by lack of knowledge.

I suspect its not only the lactose, but also, modern cows has some harsh proteins.
[So for example, goats milk does contain some lactose too, BUT all cats manage goats milk nicely, as do many humans sensitive to cow milk]

So, raw cow milk from cows of old type is probably OK...

Sometimes it goes OK anyways even with given cow milk. That is why we dont hear more often of fatal consequences.
Raw cow milk is probably less dangerous. Which what often happens if peasants try to save an orphan. They do have access to raw milk. And probably the reason it often gets OK.