Labor? Update: Kittens Are Here!

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I'm completely new here but I have been looking on the site for a few days and figured it's time I post something! My family and I have a Bengal female (CoCo) who has mated with our neighbors male Siamese (we had an appointment to get her spayed but it turned out she was pregnant and we don't find it fair to our girl to cancel the pregnancy and spay so please no asking why she wasn't spayed or telling me I need to get her spayed. As soon as babies are weaned and she's deemed okay, she will be getting spayed). We don't have an exact date of mating as it wasn't intentional but our Bengal was in heat around the middle of April, which should make her due now or extremely close to now. She has been showing signs of prelabor for a few days now. About a week ago, she got white small crusty spots on her nipples and I'm assuming it was milk, they've also gotten alot larger (from everything I've read and from the breeders I've spoken to). For this past week as well she hasn't wanted to leave my side. She's usually very friendly but she's a Bengal so doesn't stay still. Lately she has just been laying around me and getting me to gently pet her stomach. 3 days ago, her belly dropped and is extremely low now. She has been in and out of her nesting box for about 3-4 days as well. The past 2 days though she has hardly left it at all, laying on her side and licking herself non stop. She has been licking herself quite a bit for the last week too. Everything I've read said these are the signs of prelabor but she's not progressing. She has a tiny bit of discharge in her vulva and if you look closely you can see it has started opening a little as well. Just want to know if anyone's been through this as well? I feel like this is a crazy waiting game but since I don't have the exact date they mated, I can't be 100% positive. Just looking for others who can offer some advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I appreciate the articles. I think I've read every article and forum there is to read about labor and delivery haha. Everything I've read though says pre labor usually only lasts 24-48 hours before contractions start so I was just curious because it's been almost a week for some of the signs
I will make posts of her progress on here

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The discharge you’re noticing can start either right before birth or up to a week before. Since she’s “dropped” already, I’d say that she’s closer than a week.

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The discharge you’re noticing can start either right before birth or up to a week before. Since she’s “dropped” already, I’d say that she’s closer than a week.
Yes I'm thinking she's closer than a week too but it's really hard to tell since we don't have an exact mating date. Hoping she has them soon, poor girl seems so uncomfortable!! I will post as soon as we have some real signs of labor

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our girl has been showing signs of labor for just over a week now and for the past 2-3 days she hasn't had much energy and seems very uncomfortable. She has constantly been sleeping, rearranging herself, eating/drinking, moving to a new spot, sleeping, rearranging herself and so on. This morning she seems to have gotten a huge burst of energy - she was actually just running on her cat wheel almost full speed! Mind you she only ran for about 10 seconds but she hasn't used it for a little while now. She did wake me up last night with a couple very loud meows however but no visible contractions yet. Crossing my fingers it's soon!!

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco has been spending almost every minute in her nesting box, except for eating/drinking and using the litter box.

Here's a picture of baby girl in her nesting box! She just looks so uncomfortable and big, poor girl!!
20190618_121947.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, she really does look about to pop :)
That's too funny about her getting on her wheel - sometimes I SO wish they could talk :bigeyes: :runningcat:

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever since that first meow that woke me up last night, she has been very vocal today which she hasn't been all week. Hoping we're getting close!!

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a little background info about our queen Coco - she is a purebred Bengal who mated with our neighbors Siamese seal point (completely unintentional) sometime around the middle of April while she was in heat. Which would make her approximately between 61 and 68 days. She had a spay appointment for the next week but when we brought her in she was pregnant and I didn't feel right terminating the pregnancy. She has been showing signs of early labour for over a week now (dried milk on nipples, nesting, she will not leave my side and constantly wants her belly rubbed, she has been licking herself almost non stop as well.. not just her vulva but everywhere it seems). Two nights ago, she woke me up with a very loud meow and I stayed up with her for 3.5 hours but still no signs of labor progressing. Now fast forward to last night, she was having irregular contractions for approximately an hour or so. There was no same time between them as they seemed to be kind of all over the place but they did look like real contractions. Everything I've read says it's normal for queens to take breaks during labor but for this long? It's now been approximately 8 hours and no more contractions! No discharge during this time either. Has anyone had this happen? If I have to, of course I will bring her to the vet but she is still happy, loving and doesn't seem to be in distress. Her belly is so big though I feel like she's going to pop! Heres a few pics of our beautiful girl
20190619_103732.jpg

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the kittens have definitely dropped as she doesn't look as pregnant anymore (this happened just over 48 hours ago). Thanks everyone!!

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think her water broke! I took my 2 sons outside for approximately 15 minutes. When I came inside Coco meowed and came upto me. I rubbed my hand along her back and up her tail, all around her backside, her tail and the top of her back were wet with what looked like amniotic fluid (clear liquid with no smell). I am just wondering if anyone had their cats water broke before labor and if so, how long after did they have kittens? Everything I've reqd says different things so looking for personal experiences. Thanks!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If her water has broken then she is on her way. It could still take time, but don’t worry, each kitten is still encased in its own little sac, which usually breaks on the way out; but if not, mom will break it with her teeth. If she does not, then break it for her.

Keep us posted!

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If her water has broken then she is on her way. It could still take time, but don’t worry, each kitten is still encased in its own little sac, which usually breaks on the way out; but if not, mom will break it with her teeth. If she does not, then break it for her.

Keep us posted!
Thank you! Right now she isn't acting any different but it's only been about 20-30 minutes since her water broke. Is there a maximum amount of time I should wait before bringing her to the vet if she doesn't go into labor? She seems perfectly fine and not in pain at all but I know sometimes it can take a few hours after the water breaks before labor starts

Islasmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh blimey, sounds like your a teeny bit in front of me..
My girl is due too.. getting signals but no movement.
Defo sounds like her waters have gone... good luck eeek xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Actually, it could be days, but likely will happen sooner. Unlike a human woman who needs to deliver within 24 hours of water breaking, in cats it can take awhile and the kittens are safe in their sacs.

There’s no rush to get to the vet. Be patient and wait for nature to take its course. :)

Bengalmum93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! Just wanted to make sure there were no risks with not delivering within a certain time frame after their water broke. When I checked the internet it said if labor hadn't started within 1 hour, another site said 24 hours so I figured I would ask the cat experts :) we are so excited to meet these babies and for our girl to stop being so uncomfortable!