Labor, or trouble?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Vet hath proclaimed:
NOT pregnant, false pregnancy, in heat!

Whew and oh my heavens! After 5 weeks of she is / she isn't....going into labor....going into heat....is she or isn't she....what is up with this cat??? and all the rest....the vet said no, absolutely no sign of any babies inside. No lumps, no bumps, no movement. Big belly / nipples are due to false pregnancy (& high protein food). Definitely in heat.

Well horsefeathers! I was kinda looking forward to babies....but dreading the thought of the cost of all those vaccinations / "fixings" not to mention trying to find homes. So....I'm a little bit relieved, a little bit sad.

Anyway....the Pixie Witch is at the vet's office tonite, and will be spayed and vaccinated tomorrow, and will be released Wednesday.

The only other thing to note here is....vet commented on Pixie's change in attitude since last month's visit. At that point, 1 week after being adopted, she was meek and mild. Given the growling prompted from being poked and prodded this time, as well as the unearthly shriek she emitted at seeing the other cats being held there, vet said she is definitely developing her tortie-attitude.

Gotta remember to thank hubby for bringing all this excitement into my life.

A big hug and thanks to everyone here, for all the encouragement and support. Y'all were such a big help in helping ME maintain my calm during this ... uh .... event. Hopefully our future with the Pixie Witch will be more...normal.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww I was hoping to see some babies too. Well at least you have a very loving tortie

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

awww I was hoping to see some babies too. Well at least you have a very loving tortie
Me too! But I can understand your relief. I guess it is good news, surprising but good.
Congratulations mama to a torti. You are now the mama to ONE cat.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im a little dissapointed, But I still have my Baby to look at and Stil have CryBaby coming my way! HEHE
Good luck to you and your baby! Sorry bout the false preggers thing though, I had a cat do that once and I was sooo ready for kittens, n then it didn't happen!! Your Tortie has kept everyone on the edge of their seats for quite a while so I look forward to hearing more about her!!

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

Well, a little disappointed, but it's for the best. We don't need more kittens in the world. And you have a loving tortie..... be honored!!!
Yes....my feelings exactly. Disappointed....but also relieved that there aren't more unplanned kittens being born. As Abbysmom pointed out....it's not all that difficult to experience kitten-birth / kittens without them having to be my kittens.

However, given Pixie's reactions to any other cats so far (on her two visits to the Vet) - not sure she'd tolerate any other cats being around. She was disdainful but tolerant of my sister-in-law's Maltese pup.....but you shoulda heard her "battle cry" when she saw the other cats at the vet's today! Made me shiver - and very glad that I wasn't the focus of her anger!
I think we'll remain a one-cat family for now, and let Pixie reign supreme!

I have to say I'm looking forward to her return & recovery. I was just barely starting to get to know her, when she went into heat and changed again. She had just started to recover from her time as a stray, and was starting to let her personality shine, before her hormones took over.
Yup, I think my life is definitely going to be infinitely more interesting with this tortie in it!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear she is not pregnant.
In the long run it is better for all of you.

Sending many vibes to her for her spay. I bet you can't wait to have her back home so she can settle back in and let her tortitude fully develop.

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok....final update on this strange tale....Pixie made it thru surgery very nicely! I was told she had "lost a bit of her attitude".
Bet that is only temporary! She is due to come home tomorrow....if I can get out to get her. Bad snow my way....my job is 10 minutes from home....and it took me an hour, plus two men and a 4 wheel drive truck, to get me and the car home tonite. And the truck was going sideways most of the way.

But the important thing is....I'm home safe....and Pixie is doing well....and will be home soon. Hopefully tomorrow.

Once again, thank you, all....for your support and encouragement during this roller-coaster ride my tortie took me on!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the good news!
There are already soooooo many kittens at shelters/rescues/ and in bad situations at the moment, one less litter is a good thing so more can get good homes! I am glad to hear miss pixie is doing well after her spay.

Thankyou for being responsible for this sweet girl and taking her in out of a bad situation! She's lucky to have you

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very lucky to have you! You deserve a pat on the back for all the hard work you've done with her!!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what the really funny thing is?? You spent the whole night on the floor that one night for your kitty to not even been pregnant! LOL Sorry that probably isn't really funny, but it is kinda funny!