L-glutamine ?

sandy wuerch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chat Conversation Start

Does anyone have any experience with L-glutamine and kittens with a bacterial imbalance?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard it works really well for stomach upsets. I've never personally used it. I guess it depends on if you got it in a special mix with other digestive aids. It is meant to aid in cats with chronic diarrhea and/or vomiting. Bacterial imbalance may also need probiotics.

I'm not an expert, so this is just what I've heard from other people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandy wuerch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw it being old on a Squirrel Rescue site and made me wonder if any had treind it.I am trying it now ;)
They say it is a must have for weak animals?This Is our 1st go around with a bacterial imbalance some are having a hard time with.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I havent heard nothing. But there may be other remedies to try with? What is this bacterial inbalance? Intestines and diarrhea? Some remedies to try with is: goats milk - preferably fresh RAW goats milk, but frozen may work too. Some nice probiotic containing several different bacterias. Even a quite common mild full fat youghurt may work, preferably with added acidophilus and bifidus bacteria. The american brand Fage should do the trick. I have also heard good about the bacterai of S. boulardii (spelling?). Its in several different brands, sometimes alone, sometimes combined with others.

Coconut oil is too said to be soothing - pick a coldpressed organic style brand.

Also, if diarrhea its important with both fluids AND salts and electrolytes replacement. Easiest is a clear flavorless pedialyte. If you have difficult to buy it, its possible to make useful homemade pedialyte.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
sandy wuerch sandy wuerch

What sort of imbalance is it? How old are the kittens? What are the symptoms?

The kittens may have worms or parasites that would need treating with medications. This is not unusual in kittens, and is easy to treat.

sandy wuerch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havent heard nothing. But there may be other remedies to try with? What is this bacterial inbalance? Intestines and diarrhea? Some remedies to try with is: goats milk - preferably fresh RAW goats milk, but frozen may work too. Some nice probiotic containing several different bacterias. Even a quite common mild full fat youghurt may work, preferably with added acidophilus and bifidus bacteria. The american brand Fage should do the trick. I have also heard good about the bacterai of S. boulardii (spelling?). Its in several different brands, sometimes alone, sometimes combined with others.

Coconut oil is too said to be soothing - pick a coldpressed organic style brand.

Also, if diarrhea its important with both fluids AND salts and electrolytes replacement. Easiest is a clear flavorless pedialyte. If you have difficult to buy it, its possible to make useful homemade pedialyte.

Thanks Bunches I am trying the above except goat's milk,yogurt and the S boulardii.Yes they started with Pools then went off food,have had several Vet meds.Poops are better but not 100% eating is picky,not gaining much at all this worries me.1 kitten was unfaced but he was the biggest in his litter.He is 4 lbs last night and sib I am worried about are 1.74 and 1.98 lbs

sandy wuerch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sandy wuerch sandy wuerch

What sort of imbalance is it? How old are the kittens? What are the symptoms?

The kittens may have worms or parasites that would need treating with medications. This is not unusual in kittens, and is easy to treat.

We have ran Several Poop Panels and I even sent out with a 2nd Vet to make sure 1st was sending correctly.All Panels are good.They have been dewormed but also tested clear.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What color are the poops?

Is it straight diarrhea, or just soft?

Have they been treated for parasites? Have they had an antibiotic yet?

You can mix a teaspoon of plain, canned pumpkin into their wet food to firm up the poops.