Kyo comes home tomorrow

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First things first, please, no judging. This was not in any way something I could control. It was either de-claw or send him to the nearest shelter which is a kill shelter and is full. Kyo just had his front claws removed. I visited him at the vet. He's very hyper and was happy to see me. I could hear him meowing all the way outside when I left. He is healing very nicely. I'm sad to have had to put him through this. But I couldn't let him get killed. I've read the articles about care post surgery... but does anyone have extra advice? I would love to hear it. He's my precious baby and I'm doing everything I can to keep him safe and comfortable.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hoping for a speedy and safe recovery for your Kyo! Unfortunate declawing was your only option... though definitely better than sending him to the shelter.

Make sure you do all the necessary research on declawed cats so that he may continue to have the best life possible!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I most definitely will! Any good sites you know of for research besides this one?

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that the previous owner declawed. While I can't help you with post-surgery suggestions, I do recommend the placement of memory foam pillows (or a non-skid surface of some sort) for places where there are difficult and/or slippery jumps. The front paws will have no grip.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure the litter is safe (like shredded newspaper) while he heals.  Also you may not want him to be TOO active when he gets home so his paws have a chance to heal.  I've heard of paws bleeding a bit from kittens trying to be kittens too soon afterward basically.

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kyo is doing great. He's back to constantly purring to the point of annoying me. For those of you following this story, you know his age and my circumstances that led to this surgery. For all others, please understand this was not something I wanted. Kyo had his front claws removed a bit ago. I'm curious when it's safe for him to have a bath again. I don't want soap in his wounds. Is it normal for cats to bite their paws? And when should I switch him off kitten food? He is 4 1/2- 5 months old.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats do bite their claws (not paws) as part of grooming. Their way of clipping their nails, though obviously they don't do a very good job themselves. 
 You can try putting liners, like the one you use in cabinets and drawers, on his usual hang out spots. They can help with his grip. I have the clumsiest cat in the world, and the liners does wonders in stopping him from falling off everything.

Not sure about kitten food, as I never had kittens.

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks :) you've been very helpful through this whole situation. I really appreciate it.